The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been a week and i finally caught my first coon, Caught him in a duke #2 with tainted deer meat for bait. He was 19 lbs. I had a little trouble skinning him, just in the tail section. I broke off the tip of the tail trying to pull it out. I guess i should invest in a tail puller. Still very pleased with the catch.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Congrats on your first coon!! As for the skinning part your not alone just ask Moss what he did to his first

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Great job on your first coon and 19 pounds is a dandy! Yep, skinning and fleshing take practice but you'll get the hang of it. Are you selling or getting it tanned?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trapperrick said:
Great job on your first coon and 19 pounds is a dandy! Yep, skinning and fleshing take practice but you'll get the hang of it. Are you selling or getting it tanned?
Thanks guys.. I'm probably going to hold on to this pelt, i plan on tanning it.. I didn't have time to flesh it out so i rolled it fur side in and put it in a plastic bag in freezer. Im not sure if this is the right thing to do? I have to get a fleshing beam and some equip.. Can i refreeze it after fleshing untill im ready to tan? In the future, whats the best way to dry the pelt? Stretcher fur side in for a day or two,then fur side out for a while. If i wanted to sell? Thanks again guys

·
Registered
295 Posts
nope fur side out. i let mine hang outside to cool off b4 i roll them up nose to tail fur side out. waiting for my strachers to come then i got to do some fleshing first yr fleshing starting out with the coons b4 i go to my couple fox i got.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts