The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past friday I had the day off work and a few free hours between house chores. I though I would try fishing some local wild trout waters to start the day off. It was 58* air temp and 56* water temp when I started at 7:40 after dropping my daughter off at daycare. This wild trout stream was extremely low and clear. It turned out there were only a few pockets deep enough to run the spinner but I was not disappointed.

Armed with on of Frank's spinners. Thank you again!

Here is were we started.

I walked upstream to this pool below the bridge. Just about every other cast produced a fish. In short order I had 5 wild brookies and 1 brown come to hand. I couldn't believe how feisty this fish where.

I pressed on up stream and hit a few very small runs and pockets and quickly was at 10 fish in about 35 minutes. However as soon as the sun came over the hill lit up the valley, the fish had no interest anymore. Plus the 1'-2' wide flows were largely not deep enough for the spinner blade to run correctly without hitting the bottom or breaking the surface.

Unfortunately it seems this area sees lots of people who don't seem to care about leave no trace and don't care to take there trash with them. Its a real shame. Next time I go back here I will take a trash bag.

In the afternoon, I went to a local special regs catch and release fly fishing only area in hopes to catch my second trout ever on the fly rod. I have recently taken up fly fishing and there is quite the learning curve. The fishing has been difficult but I thought I would try anyways. After about an hour of fishing and no fish I wasn't sure what to try. I had a young man come by and I politely asked how he had done and what he was using. He was kind enough to share that information and I quickly changed flies. Two drifts later I hooked into a big rainbow that went 6ft vertical broke the leader and took the fly with him. That was the only one of those flies that I had. I tried everything else I had and couldn't get any interest. Learned a lesson there. Always have more than one of each fly.

Overall, for a days fishing I couldn't have been happier considering the low/clear conditions. That was the first time in years that I had spinner fished and a I had a blast with the wild trout. These wild trout are truly a treasure and need any and all protection we can give them. My day ended with a total of 9 wild brookies, one wild brown and that one that got away. I cant say thanks enough to you guys for all of the tips and information you share it is really helpful.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Glad you were able to get out and had fun.

You mentioned catching 10 wild brooks, but not any browns. One of the fish in your pictures is a brown.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trout Traveler said:
Glad you were able to get out and had fun.

You mentioned catching 10 wild brooks, but not any browns. One of the fish in your pictures is a brown.
It's the first one correct? I still get them mixed up sometimes. I thought it was a brown but I wasn't 100%. The stream was a Class A for brookies so it seems I made an error in my assumptions.

** I fixed the original post.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Yes, the first trout picture is a brown. Brook trout are chars and have light spots in a dark background. Brown trout are true trout and have dark spots in a light background.

Brook trout also have wormlike markings that other trout don't have.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That is one tiny stream.

Ten trout is actually pretty good under those conditions and the fact that you haven't fished spinners in a long time.

That spinning rod you're using looks like it must be twenty feet long.

Congratulations on a fine outing.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you frank. That stream is tiny tiny. I didn't realize it was that small. The UL is 5'6" and with how narrow things were it made casting a bit challenging as well as trying to keep the rod perpendicular to the retrieve. I did see several other trout but they happened to see me at the same time. I will be back in that stream in a month or more after we get a good rainfall. Now on to finding the next wild trout stream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts