The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have knowledge or experience growing cattail stands for cover. have a untillable wet area i would like to use for bird cover. Can i use seedheads from nearby cattail stand? what time of year do i harvest pollinated seed? Are they hard to start from seed?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the fastest way to get them to grow would be to just transplant some tubers to the intended area. Being spring it's the perfect time before they start to get too established. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Transplant them. They will grow like crazy, maybe better than what you wanted. You might be able to get them transplanted now but I definitely don't think it would much matter when you do so.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
We have some in the one retention pond in our neighborhood and they grow thicker together every year. No maintenance is done to them and the cattails are about 2 ft now.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would just transplant pieces of root, just push them into the mud. Don't know if you can back the area up a little to create some standing water. I have wet areas that sound similar to yours and they grow and look nice but they are not thick. In the shallow permanently flooded areas they are uncontrollable. This year I am going to use aquacide on them as they are now SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the water surface area and will eventually remove all open water and I have a lot of bass in it. 2 years ago I went in and pulled every single one out of the water. They are now thicker than ever because I think all I did was created more root stems and every one sprouted new shoots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts