The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
No way...the reason small game populations are in trouble is because of all the redtail hawks and the coyotes the PGC stocks...we need to set a bounty on hawks for sure. Think about all the rural farms and houses in Pennsylvania, most have a "few" cats hanging around the barn to "control" the mouse population. These cats can range for miles from the barn, killing 365 days a year 24 hours a day. I have a high school buddy that has a farm in Venango County. He said to me one day "you hunt woodcock don't you?" I told him I did. He said "boy those things are dumb, my cats brought back a bunch of them this spring".

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Ya' I read that report and I am shocked. SHOCKED! Frankly though, as many times as I have been hunting I have only seen 2 x cats in the woods. I know they probably hunt at night and just get out of the way in the daytime. What gets my shoes on the wrong feet are the people who, having decided they no longer want a cat, take it to an SGL and let it go.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wait. It's not the hawks and owls?

If only a discussion I had with a fellow HPA'r last saturday had come to fruition sooner...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
And I was just getting convinced that it was hawks, owls,and eagles! I guess we should have a bounty on house cats too! Nah, it's the avian predators for sure, this study must be wrong!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Maybe fishers aren't all bad. They wipe out the cat population. No strays around here anymore.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
LostintheUplands said:
If only a discussion I had with a fellow HPA'r last saturday had come to fruition sooner...
I was so close.... Now I need to photochop in a cat also..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one area I hunt usually has several cats on it and I think they do a number on baby rabbits. I've seen some take some killdeer birds when nesting close to home as well.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I wonder if PITA will do the right thing and put out a bounty on cats? No, wait a moment. That question shows that I have had too much wine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Everyone, the first sentence of my first post on this topic was sarcasm...just wanted to make that clear...although I do think PA's mountain lion population...forget it I better not go there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cats are brutal on baby rabbits too. Are you legally allowed to dispatch cats on SGL's or are they protected too?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the law with feral cats. I think its an unwritten gray area. Wildlife officers and DNR know darn well how bad feral cats are, I'm sure they aren't looking to actively cite and prosecute feral cat assassins.

Shoot, shovel, and shut-up seems to be the way to operate. It's how I have gone about it thus far.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That report doesn't come as a surprise to me, my dad has been saying that FOREVER. I have local, yet feral tomcat hanging around. It swipped a grouse I had hanging off a hand railing. I'll be investing in a live box trap... and some sub-sonic aguilas for 24" 22lr. With grouse being somewhere around $50 an ounce ($54 or so after said trap and ammo), that acted as last meal so to speak for that dirty bugger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts