The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to figure this trapping thing out. I've got an area with some fox and coon in it, but also some house cats. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to keep them out of the traps? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
40 Posts
The farther away from houses the better for starters. Then,avoid using meat or fish base baits. I use alot of peanut butter and sweet smelling lures for coon. As far as for fox you could stick with gland base lures and urine.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't been trapping very long, but i know the above suggestions are good advice. The only thing i would add is to keep a notched board handy if you plan on a live release.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If they're out wandering, they're feral cats. Remove these feral cats from the area and continue pursuing your target animals. If its out wandering around in the fields or woods, it is NOT a "house cat"..
Out here we get people dropping of kittens in the summer thinking they will be right at home. I hate to break it to these people but if you don't keep your cat in the house, then it will be treated the same as a possum on my line...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Well if it's friendly or has a collar, it's possibly a neighbor's pet or just a tame barn cat. If it is scrawny and acts like a trapped bobcat, my guess is feral. I once let a feral out that lept into a pond and swam across it to get away from me. Yep, that was a feral cat alright!

If you get into some feral brown/grey/black tabby type maine coon cats, those pelts would make a nice hat! I have one that is NOT feral and boy does he have some fur on him.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
no collar then get rid of it.At least thats what I do with them.I don't trap where I have any chance at house cats.If i happen to catch a cat,its almost always a wild one and gone from the eco system

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Jayden41 said:
no collar then get rid of it.At least thats what I do with them.I don't trap where I have any chance at house cats.If i happen to catch a cat,its almost always a wild one and gone from the eco system
Well stated, Jayden. Well stated.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i'm sure you are all talking about legally harvested BOBCATs right? you wouldn't want someone/anyone since its a public forum misreading what you are posting as how trappers in general deal with domestic or even feral cats. heck people from peta might just copy those MISREAD posts and use them against us.
Domestic/ feral cats are a problem and shouldn't be running around the woods/fields but when we occasionally catch one and it is released very seldom is there any lasting damage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I understand what you are saying Bobcat, and this is no attack on you. I am sure PETA has a great argument for feral cats. If anyone from PETA wants to save the feral cats, drop me a PM and I will be glad to send them to you. I catch a few a year in my backyard, in Havaharts and they get relocated to their ultimate destination. As for the trap line, thats a different story. I am sick of ppl dropping their cats off in any neighborhood, what is humane about that. Those cats were pets and didnt deserve that. Dispatch them in a humane way.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
no offence taken and i hear ya loud and clear. i hate the buggars myself. was just a post to make people think. sometimes we are out own worst enemy though. people are going to do what people are going to do no matter what. the op asked how to avoid catching them not what everyone does when they get one.
myself i wish they had to have a lic like a dog and wear a collar and if they didn't then they were considered a varmint. but thats not the case.......

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm gonna assume that was in regards to my comment.
Allow me to clarify my comment:
"handled the same as a possum on my line" means released unharmed..
"remove them from the area" means finding a loving home for them..
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a ex trapper (still have all trapping stuff)I come here to see whats going on. I only wish I had more time so I could trap.
Now I read some of the "GREAT" answers to newbie flockbuster17 thread...
They were about as good as the answer were one guy basely said if you start trapping on the opening day your not a sportsmen. How many of you guys ever shot a spike,3,4,5,6 pointer well I don't shoot them and you know if you do, I still think your a sportsmen. If the mods want to remove my post go right ahead. Ed Rogalski

·
Registered
92 Posts
I honestly dont know how to keep them out other than choice of bait which I think someone brought up. And I like cats, I just dont want them in my backyard or on my trapline.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts