The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in a lot of publications that leeches make great fishing bait. I would like to catch some, if possible. The problem is that in all of my years fishing, swimming, etc. in eastern PA, I have never seen a leech.

Are there leeches in eastern PA? If so, where would I be likely to find them?

Thanks

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The leeches commonly fished with are ribbon leeches. They're different than the ones that latch onto you. Ribbon leeches make great walleye bait.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
If you want Leeches for Bait, go catch some Painted or Snapping Turtles and Pluck the Leeches off them!

Just make sure you catch the turtles by hand right now and release them unharmed after you pluck the leeches off them, the season is not open for them yet!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I don't know how or where to catch them. I remember the <span style="font-style: italic">In Fisherman </span> ran an article several years ago about a leech trap. One of the baitshops aroung Pymatunning used to carry them and I would get them. I'd put one of them on a small floating jighead and walking sinker. The eyes used to crush them.

I found this on a google search. Seems pretty easy...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4779414_make-leech-traps.html

The article explains ribbon leeches are scavengers and not blood suckers. The blood sucking leeches don't make good bait.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I look for them the same way i catch crawfish for bait. Just get yourself in some protected waters not rough wavey that has a very rocky shore and lift the rocks. Back when i was a kid i would get a leech for every dozen or so crawfish i find.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Take a coffee can and squeeze the open end to form a half inch opening. Bait with cut bluegill and place in a pond near cattails. Check it in the morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts