The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bother has pictures of several Bobcats and cutting through his apple orchard on trail cams just about every night. What would you suggest is the best way to trap one. I've been pretty successful on fox so how do I get one of the cats? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
The hardest thing about catching cats is finding where they frequent. You've got that covered.
Keeping your traps empty of other critters is important if you're targeting specifically cats.

A cat can't resist a big messy dirt hole, but either can most other critters. The one thing you can do to deter other critters is to guide the cats foot heavily with sticks or stones. I mean you can put a square of flat sticks right outside the jaws, even let the pan of the trap exposed.....and a cat will willingly step there. Most other critters will not.
Using lures that are intentionally attractive to cats can help keep other animals out as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
As Fairchild stated, location is the biggest concern, and you have that covered. Cats live in a visual world...they have a good nose, but are more prone to hunt by sight than canines. Cats are curious by nature and will study and check out things that catch their eye. Cat also like vertical things, like big rocks and ledges. And like their domestic counterparts, they can’t resist a cubby or box. Make your cubby either big enough to turn around inside or make it something they can walk through. If you want to try a box trap, it needs to be a big box trap, and be sure to cover up the wire mesh on the floor with dirt or pine needles.

Trap contamination with human scent is not a big factor. Use enough trap, as a cat has a fairly big paw. I don’t think they fight a trap nearly as hard as most coyotes do. I use some #2 modified 4 coil Bridgers, and some #3 and #4 Dukes ( some 2, some 4 coiled) on public ground where I feel theft might be an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts