The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
This has been a topic at work lately....Is it legal to carry a handgun or even a small game caliber rifle while bowhunting in the event that a coyote happens to run by? This year I saw coyotes pretty much every time out and would love it if I was able to carry a shotgun or smaller caliber rifle/handgun for these critters. I cant seem to find any information on this in the Rules and Regs but many guys seem to think you can carry a handgun with a concealed weapons permit but no rifle...Anybody know the rulings on this?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
You can carry it if you have a cwp, but you aren't allowed to use it for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
You can carry it if you have a cwp, but you aren't allowed to use it for hunting purposes.
lug7110 said:
yes you can with a ccp but it cant be of a hunting type handgun
WERE do you get these CWPs and CCPs??

Pennsylvania has LTCFs and UNLIKE CWPs and CCPs that you HAVE to Conceal Carry, you can OPENLY Carry with PA's LTCF!

If you have an LTCF (NOT a Sportsmens Permit) You can Carry a Handgun all you want in Archery Season!
But you can NOT carry a longgun unless it is a Muzzleloader and it is in a Muzzleloading season and you have the Needed Tags to do so!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
To answer the OP's question.
You must possess a valid license to carry firearms in order to carry a handgun while archery hunting.
It can be any type of handgun authorized by the LTCF.
It can only be used for protection, not to take game
It can be carried openly or concealed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Retiredusne8 said:
Shoot the yote with the bow.
Thats a tough game....I never see them walking, always trotting or running...I let off a bleet to stop them and they just explode before I can even pull back...I bought some calls and im gonna try n thin the pack before summer.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
To answer the OP's question.
It can only be used for protection, not to take game.
If the handgun is a legal firearm for taking game, it most certainly can be used to take game. Why wouldn't it be?

The situation the OP mentions; archery hunting while carrying a handgun, but a coyote (which can be taken with a bow or a non-semi-auto handgun) presents itself is a good one.

The question has been asked, can I carry my bow and shotgun at the same time? Use the bow for deer, but use the shotgun for small game. I think the answer was, you have to be doing one or the other, but I haven't seen anything in writing that specifically states that.

What would be the difference if I was bear or deer hunting and a coyote showed up? Instead of using my .30/06 to shoot the coyote, I decided to use my .357 or .44 mag???

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
§ 141.43. Deer.
(a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the archery deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use or possess a firearm. Exceptions:

(A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others). </span></span></span>
(B) A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.

(ii) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
§ 141.43. Deer.
(a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the archery deer season, it is unlawful to:

<span style="color: #FF0000">(i) Use or possess a firearm. Exceptions:

(A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).</span>

(B) A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.

(ii) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection

<span style="font-weight: bold">2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others</span>

(a) General rule.--It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.--

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of a firearm or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

2525 is for PROTECTION not hunting also remember 2525 does not give a person permission to possess long guns as LTCF does not cover long guns
If you would possess the firearm while archery hunting, you would be violating
the section in red above

·
Registered
360 Posts
To answer the original question, it all depends on what you are bowhunting. The regs for bowhunting deer are not exactly the same as the regs for bowhunting small game, turkey, predators, etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I WAS TOLD LAST YEAR BY A WCO THAT IF I HAVE A CC/PROTECTION PERMIT I CAN CARRY ANY HANDGUN WHILE BOWHUNTING. I CARRY A SNUBBY 44 AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SHOOTING A DEER WITH IT.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The coyote attacked me and I had to defend myself.....

How was I to know they can't climb trees? Do we know for sure they can't?

In all seriousness, when bow hunting I have about $2000 worth of various gear, bow, arrows, stand, sometimes rangefinder, now a GPS thanks to Santa, don't need some ying-yang on dope waiting for me in the parking area after dark, trying to stick me up.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
WACKUMANDSTACKUM said:
I WAS TOLD LAST YEAR BY A WCO THAT IF I HAVE A CC/PROTECTION PERMIT I CAN CARRY ANY HANDGUN WHILE BOWHUNTING. I CARRY A SNUBBY 44 AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SHOOTING A DEER WITH IT.
And he was correct

1 - 19 of 19 Posts