The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know next to nothing about pistols. I'm planning on buying a carry pistol, and would welcome some opinions. Caliber, models, and brands. Cost is a definite factor, but obviously don't want something I can't rely on. I have smaller hands, so a smaller pistol will fit me better. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The guy goes by misfire. I'd pass on the Glock! LOL

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I'd look at what Kahr has to offer. I carry one of theres plus they just moved down to PA.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The Kahr CW series are nice. Same for the SW Bodyguard 380's.

I settled on a Springfield XDS .45. I also got a Ruger SR22.

Best advise is to go tot he gun shows and handle lots of pistols. You will find the fit.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Another vote for the xds 45.Feels good in the hand and plenty of fire power. The glocks felt like I was holding a block of wood in my hand. It's very accurate also.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
your best bet is to find someone with a bunch for you to test fire...or a range/gun shop that will let you test fire a bunch...

or second best is to head to a few gun shops and handle every gun that fits your budget and features/caliber/etc etc...

what feels and points natural in your hand will typically shoot better and be easier to learn with..

caliber? 38+p, 357 mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, cant go wrong...id personally shy away from anything smaller but that is my personal feelings..there are some great 380s and 380 loads available now..but i rather have more power..

the sky is about the limit..from a 2" snub nose revolver to a full sized revolver or auto..

double action..DA/SA...single action..striker fire..manual safeties..no safeties..full sized..mid sized...compact..sub compact..the list can go on for days..

pros and cons to weigh...many guys like to carry small guns..real small guns..small guns may be easier to conceal and easier to carry...but they can be tough to shoot..short barrel..short sight radius..small grips..harsh recoil...a bigger gun can be harder to hide and heavier..but easier to shoot accurately..

a BIG factor that is also often overlooked is a GOOD holster..i will take a 4" 1911 in a GOOD holster over a compact in a junk holster ANY day...lots of guys buy a gun and spend 20$ on a holster and dont like how it feels and the gun shows when carried and they blame the gun and end up leaving it at home and not carrying it..

no sense in buying a gun to carry if you arent gunna carry it right?

youre on the right track doing your homework...

i have my favorites..i have my personal recommendations...i have manufacturers i like and some i would trade in if someone GAVE them to me..but what i shoot well and what i like might not be best for you or anyone else..

good gun...good holster...good ammo...learn how to handle and shoot the gun and get it from the holster safely and quickly and you'll be fine no matter what you choose..but it all boils down to a lot of personal preference...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm a big glock fan but if you have not handled/shot a lot of pistols I would stick with a small frame revolver. A lot less to learn and don't have to worry about clearing jams, simply pull the trigger again if a chamber does not go off. I would also recommend a 357 mag because you can shoot 38 specials for practice or if you find you have a hard time handling recoil.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. Gotta a lot of info and ideas to sort thru!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
glock3540 said:
I'm a big glock fan but if you have not handled/shot a lot of pistols I would stick with a small frame revolver. A lot less to learn and don't have to worry about clearing jams, simply pull the trigger again if a chamber does not go off.
You shoot Glocks and you have had to clear a jam ??????

Couldn't even guess at how many rounds I've put downrange through Glocks and have yet to have to clear a jam. They ALWAYS chamber and they ALWAYS go off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the glock. It's all I carry and I have a few. I think 3.5" barrel or 4" is the way to go due to the sight plane. I prefer the glock because there is nothing to think about except your target and the trigger no manual safety to be concerned with if you do need to protect yourself.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Strut, read up on some gen4 issues..

I have a glock and I can say the same...it goes bang..but I can't remember having an issue with it, or a Sig or a kimber..and I've shot all 3 a good bunch...I've put a lot more rounds through Sigs..

But...I think the point glock was making was a revolver isn't going to jam where an auto can..not that glocks are known to jam..because that's simply not true..except some bugs with the gen4s...

Again another issue to weigh out when shopping...tons of things to consider when shopping...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would put a Glock up against any revolver when it comes to reliability. A good striker pistol is hard to beat when it comes to ease of use.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
mauser06 said:
Strut, read up on some gen4 issues..

I have a glock and I can say the same...it goes bang..but I can't remember having an issue with it, or a Sig or a kimber..and I've shot all 3 a good bunch...I've put a lot more rounds through Sigs..

But...I think the point glock was making was a revolver isn't going to jam where an auto can..not that glocks are known to jam..because that's simply not true..except some bugs with the gen4s...

Again another issue to weigh out when shopping...tons of things to consider when shopping...
Truthfully, I am ignorant to the quirks of the Gen 4's. If they have issues it seems a shame that Glock went and messed up something as simple as a one car funeral.

I shoot 3 Glocks. 3 different frames. 3 different cartridges. I assume mine are all either Gen 1 or Gen 2. They have ALWAYS gone "bang" which is, I guess, why I've not done any reading to figure out what's wrong with them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts