The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys looking at the S&W MP Shield in 9 for my carry gun. Anyone have this?

I also checked out the glock and XDS in 9mm. I like the grip of the S&W and its size compared to the others.

Anyone have any input on these 3 choices?

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
I carry an XDs 9mm and like it a lot.

A friend I trust has a Shield and is quite pleased with it.

Between those three, you don't have a bad choice, just have to figure out what is best for you.

I have a Glock 23 and an XDs 3.3" 9mm. I can shoot the XDs better than I can the Glock 23, so I may look to trade the 23 into a bigger XD for open-carry, night stand gun, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Both the wife, several fiends, relatives and I carry M&P Shield....compact for a 9MM for Summer carry. Ammo not expensive as some other calibers and we reload.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Shield is great. Conceal well, and shoots very accurately! I have not had a malfunction yet. Easy to break down to clean. Works well with an Alien Gear holster made in N. Idaho, USA.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
C-Money said:
The Shield is great. Conceal well, and shoots very accurately! I have not had a malfunction yet. Easy to break down to clean. Works well with an Alien Gear holster made in N. Idaho, USA.
I have the same set up and love it

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about getting the newer version with ported barrel, and fiber optics but think I would rather spend that money to put towards a gun for my wife. Thinking of a revolver. So if there is some sort of malfunction she can just keep squeezing.

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
Does Crossbreed make a holster for the Shield? I have one for my XDs and it's a very, very comfortable holster and it controls the firearm quite well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you could go wrong with either. Honestly I got the 9 because I had a 40 in the past in a smaller frame gun and it bucked pretty good. Not a huge deal, but my buddy shot the 9 and said it is softer shooting. I may end up letting my wife shoot it and if she is comfortable with it, give it to her and get the 40.

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
While this is by no means authoritative, I did do a little testing of my XDs 9mm vs my Glock 23 (40S&W). For full disclosure, the XDs has a 3.3" barrel and the Glock has a 4" barrel.

Since I use gallon water jugs to test and recover hunting bullets, I did likewise with defensive rounds.

I used a Sig Elite VCrown 124gr round in the 9mm and a Gold Dot 180gr round in the 40.

Both penetrated into the 3rd jug (I consider 5 jug to be good in a hunting rifle, fyi) when shot from 15 yards (rifles I run at 25 yards into jugs).

Expanded diameter was nearly identical in both bullets.

Both retained 90% or more of their initial weight.

So...I'm not sure there's as much difference between a 9mm and a 40 as some would have us believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts