The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all the shootings at public places anymore, will any of you start to carry more often as long as you have your carry permit? in wake of the sandy hook shootings me and my soon to be wife were saying that we are going to start carrying more often. just wanted everyones feedback on this.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
always do...better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I do carry but I have a pretty different opinion of concealed carry fixing things. I for one carry my firearm to protect myself or my family not the public. I don't see myself running around the corner to stop a shooter in the mall when I'm near an exit. I do see myself using my gun if my family, friends, or myself is at risk. When you carry, this is something you need to consider before it happens. I for one don't carry to be a hero. I really see myself shooting while backing out of the room and getting away from danger. I do realize this could change in a situation with emotions, kids, etc. but if your going to carry you should think about these situations before hand.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
steelstalker said:
I do carry but I have a pretty different opinion of concealed carry fixing things. I for one carry my firearm to protect myself or my family not the public. I don't see myself running around the corner to stop a shooter in the mall when I'm near an exit. I do see myself using my gun if my family, friends, or myself is at risk. When you carry, this is something you need to consider before it happens. I for one don't carry to be a hero. I really see myself shooting while backing out of the room and getting away from danger. I do realize this could change in a situation with emotions, kids, etc. but if your going to carry you should think about these situations before hand.
Good point....And I hope I never have to find myself in such a situation.
I am not sure how any un-trained individual would react in such carnage until they are faced with it.
I'd imagine anyone with law enforcement or some type of military training would be quicker to respond to such situations.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
steelstalker said:
I understand what you saying and would probably do the same thing (get out) but if more people carried, someone "around the corner" where the shooting is occuring, may not have the option of exiting and may be able to stop it.

Several weeks ago, I was with my family in the Best Buy in Greensburg. Just as we checked out, there was a loud bang in the back of the store. Everyone looked to the back of the store and froze. First thing in my head was "gun shot." When I didn't hear any yelling, screaming, etc., I figured maybe a large box fell off of a high shelf. Then there was another one. At that point, I told my wife to get the kids and get out as I began to back towards the exit and reach for my gun. The check out guy, realizing what I was doing then said, "No, no, it's kids throwing M80s on the roof." Apparently it happened before. However, you would think he would have said something after the first one when my wife said, "Oh my God, what was that." That was one of the eeriest feelings I ever had.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
The check out guy, realizing what I was doing then said, "No, no, it's kids throwing M80s on the roof." Apparently it happened before.
Now what happens if there is another guy carrying that reacts same as you and sees you making provocative movements?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
am not saying i trying to be a hero but if the need arises and am in a mall me or my wife and not only protect ourselves but the public as well.if law enforcement arrives it may be too late.u go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I do NOT carry. Why you might ask? I am a hot head.While I know not to pull a gun out and don't think I ever would.I would rather be safe than sorry if you know what I mean.2 weeks ago while shopping I walked up on a guy putting something in his coat. I walked right past him and he walked up to me and told me to look at his front pocket and the back end of a pistol was sticking out. He told me to leave the store and not to tell anyone.I did what he ask and didn't think twice.I did what I needed to do at that point after pulling away but it has me all shook up still.I think if I would have had a pistol the out come could have been different. And who needs that.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
30-06kid said:
2 weeks ago while shopping I walked up on a guy putting something in his coat. I walked right past him and he walked up to me and told me to look at his front pocket and the back end of a pistol was sticking out. He told me to leave the store and not to tell anyone.I did what he ask and didn't think twice.I did what I needed to do at that point after pulling away but it has me all shook up still.I think if I would have had a pistol the out come could have been different. And who needs that.
Did you call the cops?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts