The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
9mm. But I never carry a pistol when hunting. Curious why hunters carry a pistol when archery hunting or hunting at all if not the weapon being used for hunting?
I see a lot of suspicious folks in the game lands I visit.
I am almost certain that a lot of other things are going on in those places other than hunting and fishing.
I will go a little further and say that those things are illegal in nature ( no pun intended).

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
I know my choice I’m looking for input why some would. Why do you “see the need” to carry when hunting? that’s what I’m asking what is the reason. For a handgun when hunting? And especially why a larger caliber?
Years ago during archery season I never even thought of a side arm, but after several to close for comfort meetings with some large black Bears
is when I decided to carry while in the woods up North. Locally near home I don't carry.
Just a little piece of mind. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Spring Turkey I have my Shotgun, Deer rifle season I have my rifle.
Archery season I don't want to rely on the vertical bow or crossbow if a precarious situation presents itself.
With the sidearm an alarming shot may scare a bear off, I doubt a warning shot from my crossbow will have the same effect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your missing my point, legal to use on the game. When In woods hunting with another weapon and pistol is not legal for game. I have never felt scared or threatened to point where I wish I had my pistol. I understand you do, was just asking a question.
NWPAhunter, I hope you don't feel like your getting picked on for you opinion, which is your right.
I've had a non‐hunting firearm out of its holster on one occasion. It was in the woods, on a back road, walking out from trout fishing. I walked up on two guys parked next to my car discussing about breaking into it. They sped away when I said hi as I walked up from behind (my pistol could not have been seen by them in the position I was in), so you know they were up to no good.
So in the woods, middle of nowhere, multiple offenders looking to violate my rights. By the way... it was in NWPA (Tionesta area).

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
In seasons where I could not use my handgun to take or put down game, I'm carrying a Glock 26 9mm.

In seasons where I might use it to take or put down game, I'm carrying a Ruger Sp101 in .357 Magnum.

As to why I carry, because I carry all the time. I'm not worried about any critters in the woods, instead I'm more concerned with the 2-legged critters in and out of the woods.

·
Registered
24,049 Posts
the thugs in town know full well about the cars in game land lots. they know the driver has a gun. they also know that more items might be in the unoccupied car. more and more homes in rural areas are being broken into as well as hunting camps. i bet they also know that your rifle or shotgun should be unloaded in the parking lot. they can wear an orange hat and sit in the car waiting for you.
carrying a handgun just makes sense when out and about.

lots of crime happens in out of the way places.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Good ole' fashion .357mag S&W 686 in the glove box, loaded with 125 hollow points..
Sorry to sound rude but there are many things wrong with that statement. The glove box is the worse place to keep a gun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Summer 9mm is Sig365
Cooler temps/ diff clothing, still a 9mm HKP30L.

Society hasnt gotten more polite. And the criminal element IMHo has gotten higher in number ( in general ) and possibly per event ).....so more rounds in the gun is the way I went

Had lesser capacity but venture to some crappy cities and feel a little better w the change in equip.

·
Registered
24,049 Posts
D.C. is trying to figure out why they have an increase in crime...LOL, they voted to defund the police, cut the budget big time and stopped overtime. :)

81 - 100 of 106 Posts