The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I understand personal choice. You said that 3 times in that post. I don’t care if you do. I was just asking why people would in PA is all for what reasons. I understand why you do now though. I just have never felt threatened by anyone when do happen to see someone else or the need to when in the woods in PA. Seems like a single shot flintlock would do the trick though. Unless come onto a whole bunch of people pulling guns on you in the woods I guess....
Never heard of crooks or ne’er do wells that work in pairs or packs eh?

·
Banned
769 Posts
“Needs”?
Are we talking about needs or preferences?

Some of us don’t leave the house unarmed. Some don’t even leave their bedroom unarmed.

I personally like to carry the biggest gun I can and still blend in with my surroundings.
Some days that’s a full size 1911, others a double-stack 1911, others an XDs… Some days it’s a G43, 26, or 19.
But in the woods or working the property where concealment is irrelevant and comfort/access is preferred, the chest, belt, shoulder or cowboy rigs come out and I carry whatever the spirit wills me to carry.
I will say this, nothing turns away unwanted solicitors like strolling down the drive with big stainless wheel gun hanging next to your thigh.
I’m not talking about hunting with a pistol. More about when carrying when illegal to use.

·
Banned
769 Posts
It’s perfectly legal to use it in defense of self or others, that’s why. No different than out of the woods.
Your missing my point, legal to use on the game. When In woods hunting with another weapon and pistol is not legal for game. I have never felt scared or threatened to point where I wish I had my pistol. I understand you do, was just asking a question.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Your missing my point, legal to use on the game. When In woods hunting with another weapon and pistol is not legal for game. I have never felt scared or threatened to point where I wish I had my pistol. I understand you do, was just asking a question.
It’s cheap, legal insurance.
And ask those guys in MI a while back about how far to trust other sportsmen. Oh wait, you can’t because they’re dead…

I know guys with their LTC that only carry when they think they might need it. I tell them that if they think they’re gonna need it where they’re going, they shouldn’t be going there. Carry all the time. It’s the only way to guarantee you’ll have it in the hopefully extremely rare instance you need it.

To me, it’s like a Swiss Army knife or a leatherman. Another tool you carry in case you find yourself in need of one.

And sure, the danger may not be in the woods or stand. But most have to travel some to get there and back.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
9mm. But I never carry a pistol when hunting. Curious why hunters carry a pistol when archery hunting or hunting at all if not the weapon being used for hunting?
Being up in a tree stand with hundreds...if not thousands of dollars worth of equipment is enough reason for me... also should a accident happen... shooting a bow to attract attention dosen't cut it. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I also carry some fire starting stuff and some first aid in the woods, but I have rarely had to use it. But then again I have life insurance and have never used it. Insurance, like carrying a firearm is something you pray you never have to use.
If you have to explain it to someone, in my opinion they will never get it. Those who get it, need no explanation.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I understand personal choice. You said that 3 times in that post. I don’t care if you do. I was just asking why people would in PA is all for what reasons. I understand why you do now though. I just have never felt threatened by anyone when do happen to see someone else or the need to when in the woods in PA. Seems like a single shot flintlock would do the trick though. Unless come onto a whole bunch of people pulling guns on you in the woods I guess....
I was flintlock hunting day after Christmas one year, group of about 30 side by sides, quads, and dirt bikes came upon me on game lands , 10 am they were drunk started to get ignorant with me, I called 911 ( what a joke ) so I started carrying every day

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I will probably regret it, but the price was real right and I am going back to my Micro 9. I carried it for 2 years, but find the Micro a little more comfortable to conceal and carry. I have/had 3 Kimber's and can't say enough good about them, great guns!
I have the Micro 9 and can't say enough "good" things about it for CC. I put it in my pocket and frankly, I "forget" that it's there. (What I mean is it's not so heavy it constantly reminds me it's there.)

I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp. It's a fine 1911. I usually carry it on an ankle holster in the colder months when I wear long pants. (It's not so concealed in an ankle holster with shorts on!! :unsure: ;))

I carry my 357 in archery season. Last fall I was hunting my usual "in the middle of almost nowhere" and was approached by a pit bull. I could see it had a collar on and was somebody's pet. The dog cowered when I slammed a stick on the ground, and then he left. I'm sure he was looking for a treat from me.....but I wasn't interested in making a new friend at that time. And yes, I had the firearm pulled from my holster. You just don't know the temperament of any large dog.

·
Banned
769 Posts
I also carry some fire starting stuff and some first aid in the woods, but I have rarely had to use it. But then again I have life insurance and have never used it. Insurance, like carrying a firearm is something you pray you never have to use.
If you have to explain it to someone, in my opinion they will never get it. Those who get it, need no explanation.
Just looking for reasons why, not saying you shouldn’t. And I’m definitely not talking about every day carry. More about why when already have a weapon. But like pit bull came up on me that would change my mind where I would carry. But for protection against people when in the woods, or any animals in pa I’m almost 0 percent concerned. I’m not saying anyone shouldn’t I don’t care, was just looking for input to see if I should start to. And I did hear some good stories why, and a lot of why not with no explanations. So thanks I did get some good info to think about

·
Registered
811 Posts
I really think it all comes down to choice. Rabid animals is something else I think about too. And although bears in pa usually do not attack, there is always a chance.
Any I have killed some pretty big turkeys🤣🤣

All good thoughts guys

·
Banned
769 Posts
I really think it all comes down to choice. Rabid animals is something else I think about too. And although bears in pa usually do not attack, there is always a chance.
Any I have killed some pretty big turkeys🤣🤣

All good thoughts guys

Thanks you listed some reasons. I have never heard of black bear attack in PA? And any rabid animal I would already have my weopon I’m hunting with. But yes personal choice if not comfortable in woods or not confident shot in weapon you are hunting with.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
I have never conceiled carry when hunting, but I may start at least when archery hunting. I do carry when just walking around in the woods anywhere. Crack, Alcohol, Crystal Meth and more make 2 legged animals do crazy stuff to others, especially if they want what you have to buy some more of their addictions.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thanks you listed some reasons. I have never heard of black bear attack in PA? And any rabid animal I would already have my weopon I’m hunting with. But yes personal choice if not comfortable in woods or not confident shot in weapon you are hunting with.
I and I am sure the others on here are 100% "confident" in our hunting weapon. But we also choose to carry an additional weapon, usually concealed and out of sight from others.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
It’s cheap, legal insurance.
And ask those guys in MI a while back about how far to trust other sportsmen. Oh wait, you can’t because they’re dead…
Yea! How many died in MI during that rampage?

How about the guy hunting in NJ who was beaten to death in a WMA parking lot 2 years ago? It turns out he was killed by a crazed guy who was out to murder someone. (Some on here speculated as to why that guy was killed making suggestions it was something more than it was. It turned out to be a random act of violence.)

Or maybe we should think about the hunters who were found shot in and around Game Land parking areas in NE PA 10 or 12 years ago. They believed someone was stalking hunters. No one was ever arrested as far as I know and the investigations just "went away".

Not too many years ago we were being warned to be vigilant in the woods because drug gangs were planting marihuana fields in the middle of game lands, state parks etc. and some had armed guards some of which were illegals' and gang bangers.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
I’ve been around others when in the woods in situations I’d rather not have unintentionally walked into.

Having a bow and a pocket knife didn’t fill me with confidence should things go sideways.

As a result, I bring a defensive option with me now.

I don’t worry about it much in rifle season, as my rifle will be in my hands and available.

In archery and flintlock, though, I want another option.

·
Banned
769 Posts
Good point I didn’t think of the meth heads, and even marijuana growers on game lands. Some meth heads in my area got caught stealing salt blocks on trail cameras about a month ago. What do they do with that, I don’t know. But makes sense, all things to consider I might carry during archery. If I remember right there was a marijuana grow on game lands a few years ago and a game warden accidentally mowed him down in bull dozer?

61 - 80 of 106 Posts