The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A property that I have hunted for 30 years was sold earlier this year and the thought of hunting 100 % public had be a little concerned about my freezer level next January.

In hopes of remedying this, I recently purchased a Thompson Center In-line and am looking fwd to the Oct. 17 - 24th In-line doe season.

I do, however, also bow hunt and all of the talk about the rut on another thread has me wondering if carrying both weapons that week is the right thing to do. (I realize that is early, but stranger this have happened).

For others that hunt both of these seasons, what do you do?

·
Registered
855 Posts
If I was going to be hunting new public land then I would use that season to do some low impact scouting. Take the gun for a walk into the afternoon. They should be starting to hit scrapes pretty good by then. Maybe you’ll find something promising for November.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm already carrying a bow, my LW hang on, 3 sticks, and a day pack. The last thing I want to do is haul the inline too. I just end up picking one. Last year - I took the inline over the bow because beavsteve said above - i wasn't real familiar with the area we were hunting and last year I couldn't shoot a bear with the bow anyway at that time so I picked the weapon that gave me the greatest range for both.

This year - I've been thinking about taking the bow ... I know the area a bit better and have a better idea of how & where to hunt it ... and the bow this year will give me the buck, doe, or bear option and just not think about my effective range being cut dramatically.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
During the overlap season, I tote the inline and the crossbow to the blind.
But I ride from 'camp' to the blind... so it's no burden to carry extra gear.
I usually bring the flintlock down too for a lunchtime stalk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts