The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wilton, 6 1/2" Carpenters Vice.
I knew I had it. But haven't seen it in 20 years.
Looked around the sheds and found it. But couldn't find the handle.
Thought it would be needed on my work table.

I took table top off. Mounted back of vice on 2x4 running leg to leg. This way, I will use side of table as fixed jaw...

I took the rust off with a wire wheel on the cordless driver.
Then re-painted. Oiled up the screw and guide posts...

Jaw block level with table top...

With draw knife, I fashioned a Chestnut handle. Then rubbed in Boiled Linseed Oil...

All done. Low profile & ready to go to work...

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have some Chestnut firewood out back. I picked a small limb and used the draw knife.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Good job, these are very handy vises. One suggestion would be to recess both boltheads on either side of vise below surface of the wood. I use mine as a 3rd hand when assembling things and if you side mount a project the bolt head will mar the wood. That top must be old, I haven't seen flake/pressboard like that in years

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wald Jager.
I think the pressed board top was purchased at Lowes, 2 years ago. Son & I built him a work bench. He used pressed board for top. I got the left overs and built a work table.
I recessed the lag bold heads...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Jeez Hern, you work fast and you do nice work . I guess that pressboard is still being made,never really looked for it. Heavy hard stuff tho.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Very nice indeed. My former father-in-law had one on his bench but it had a piece of steel that was mounted in the center of the metal plate and which could be raised or lowered. When raised it stood above the level of the bench about a half inch and you could rest a piece of wood against it and then secure it down by using dogs and wedges set in holes on the surface of the bench. Wheew - that was tough to describe.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
jimsdad said:
Very nice indeed. My former father-in-law had one on his bench but it had a piece of steel that was mounted in the center of the metal plate and which could be raised or lowered. When raised it stood above the level of the bench about a half inch and you could rest a piece of wood against it and then secure it down by using dogs and wedges set in holes on the surface of the bench. Wheew - that was tough to describe.
I'm not quite following that, can you try again?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">metal plate and which could be raised or lowered. When raised it stood above the level of the bench about a half inch...</span></span>
That is called a 'Dog'.

I was going to route a groove into my loose jaw pad. Then make a 'Dog' to fit in place.
But all I need is another piece of wood (higher than table top) slipped in between jaw pad & work piece. I haven't drilled 'Dog' holes in table either. Not sure am going to use this vice & table for lay out. I just needed a vice there to use as a third hand.

jimsdad, here's a video what you are explaining...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQPcHLcyRe0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts