The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you folks make your own Bee traps?
The past few years I've made Carpenter Bee Traps for relatives. Seem I get more calls for Bee traps each year.
Easy to make and very effective.

The way Carpenter Bee traps work-
Bee enters holes. Climbs upward to meet downward hole. Decides this isn't a good spot. Sees light at bottom to return outside and crawls into jar or water bottle.

Here are two styles from this years.
I used firewood to make one style. 4" in length. It has a 1" hole drill in center , about 3/4 the way thru. Then I drilled four, 1/2" entry holes at about 45 degrees, upward, until intersecting with 1" hole.
Attach jar lid (drill 1" hole in lid) or screw on water bottle to bottom hole.
4 hole style, I usually use a 4x4 cut to 4" length, but I didn't have any so I used pine firewood.
Entry holes are drill upward at 45 degree angle because this is the angle a Carpenter Bee makes to lay eggs.

Another style I use is a 2x4, 4" long. I use a single entry hole, with 1" center hole, about 3/4 the way thru.

bee trap.jpg

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
interesting..... they are very bad here at my house this year(even drilling into my picnic table !) I may have to try making a trap or two.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
icemole, prime time to place out Bee Traps is around Mid-April to May 1st here in Pa. That way traps will be in place when boring/egg laying is in full swing.
Check out youtube videos to make Bee Traps

Here's a picture of bottom of trap before jar or bottle is attached.
bee trap 2.jpg

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have been killing carpenter bees almost every day for two weeks trying to make a nests in my deck.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think I might make a couple of these and give them a try. The boys and I like sitting on the porch and knocking them down with .22 birdshot.

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
This is my bee killer, I made it out of a bucket lid, drilled holes in it then put a handle on it. Those bees are so dumb they hover in the air and I smack them with it. When they fall on the ground I just step on them. I killed 78 of them last year

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,906 Posts
The traps never seem to work for me. I have 18 so far with my trusty tennis racket.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bait?
No.

Moss, recently I replaced a wooden pole shed with a metal shed. But when we had the wooden pole shed, wife and I used Badminton Rackets. We called it Bumble Bee Badminton. We killed 30-40 a day around that old shed with rackets.

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
Yeah they’re hanging around my shed too, after I killed all those last year I mixed up some permethrin and sprayed all the holes and it killed the rest of them. I used this stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Geez I always called them bumble bee's. I never had a problem with them drilling. I have a lot around I better start looking.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've been using an old tennis racket too but I think they're on to me ... LOL. I had sprayed Permathin earlier this spring but it seems to have had little effect. I made up two of the traps and hung them .... see what happens.

·
Administrator
28,528 Posts
I can't verify whether this works or not, it's just something I saw on the net a few days ago but maybe it's worth a try.
Anyway, what they said was that carpenter bees and whiteface hornets are natural enemies and that the bees just wont set up shop anywhere near those hornets, so what these folks do is hang an artificial hornet nest over their deck.
They said the decoy hornet nest only has to last a few weeks so they just use a common brown paper bag stuffed with plastic bags to make it round like a globe, tied at the top, and hanged up over the deck.
Might be simple enough to work. Can't say for sure without trying it out, but I'm thinking it would only take up about six minutes of valuable fishing time to throw one together and hang it up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I own a log home, so I know all about carpenter bees. I tried the traps and had some luck, but after a while it seemed like they got ignored. The other problem was the south side of my house at the peak is 30' high. Hanging the traps involved being high up on a ladder.

The most effective way to eliminate the bees involves spraying. Permethrin is not ideal for carpenter bees. You need to use cypermethrin. It is sold under the name "Viper". It needs to be diluted with water and sprayed with a pump up sprayer. This works the best at keeping them away.

You will need to treat the existing holes first though. Drione dust and a bellows applicator work best. Fill the holes up with the dust while the bees are active and do not seal the hole till a day or two afterwards. This way other bees that enter the hole that are not already in there will get the dust and die as well. I plug the holes with 3/8" wooden dowel and sand them flush. Or use wood filler where the woodpeckers got to it first.

I no longer use the cypermethrin, since I prefer to not expose myself to pesticides. I now use a product called NBS-30. It is a non-toxic citronella based spray. You can either spray it diluted with water or mix it with the paint or stain. It works great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to try this, the carpenter bees have been awful around my house since I bought it 2 years ago. I tried sprays but nothing seems to help . Thanks for this idea.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You can buy wood putty in a tube. That is what I use, I stick the end of the tube in the holes and squeeze till it starts to come out of the hole. Then I take a wet finger and smooth it over. I tries spraying wasp and hornet killer in the holes a couple of years ago but it only killed the ones in the hole if any.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i sprayed wd 40 in the holes they drilled in my ceder trim and used alunimin foil to fill holes the 3 queen bees dropped out in seconds dead and the males where trying to get in the holes i filled but with the wd smell would nt land and they haven t been back for a week or so

·
Super Moderator
12,906 Posts
Buck: Interesting. I also have a log home and some high eaves. NBS-30 where do you get it? What do you use for a sprayer? What is the mix rate? Do you just paint the bottom of the eaves?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Buck: Interesting. I also have a log home and some high eaves. NBS-30 where do you get it? What do you use for a sprayer? What is the mix rate? Do you just paint the bottom of the eaves?
Most log home supply companies online sell it. I just bought some off amazon. One bottle of it is good for 5 gallons of paint or stain. If you are spraying it as a deterrent (not mixing it with paint or stain) I usually mix it a little more diluted than they recommend. I use a backback style pump up sprayer to apply it as a deterrent.

I use weatherseal stain on my home. If you are applying more than 1 coat, use the nbs-30 mixed with the stain on the second coat. The bottom of my eaves are stained with 2 coats. The years in between staining I just spray it once or twice if needed in the spring.

___

I have tried the wd-40 and it does work to kill them when they are already in the hole, but the problem is it leaves stains on the wood usually. Also it does not work to deter them. The drione dust is much more effective. Also if you leave the hole unsealed for a few days after applying it, other bees will enter the hole and get the dust on them and die. The dust acts as a dessicant and kills them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts