The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to book a caribou trip for 2011 in northern Quebec

Looking for opinions, experiences, price, etc... with different outfitters.

We are leaning towards Luco Caribou Adventures but lets hear where some of you guys have hunted!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Re: Luco Caribou Adventures

I don't know what to tell you about Luco JRupe but I can recomend Norpaq outfitters if you're interested in other outfitters. We had 16 guys go 3 years ago and took 31 caribou. The largest made boone & crockett easily and the setting was awesome. Caught plenty of lake trout when the tags were filled and could have taken some ptarmigan if we wanted. Also saw some wolves as well although they're protected. I would highly reccomend checking them out. Here's a link if you're interested. Not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I know.

http://www.norpaq.com/en/splash.html

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If you are seriously considering a Caribou trip, I would check out this site: link

I went in 2005 with a different outfitter and had a great time. Luckily, I was not one of the 280 hunters that got ripped off last year and this coming season!

Things would REALLY have to change for me to even consider another Caribou Trip to Quebec!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I went with Ungava Adventures (Quebec) and had a blast, it was one of if not may favorite hunt, my dad has hunted with them twice, I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I went last year thru Cargair Outfitters....They fly out of LG4 in Quebec.. Great hunt, best hunt I have ever been on....saw bear, wolves, caribou, and caught a few fish...The only thing i can tell you is, it is not like you see on TV. We all got 2 caribou, but we worked hard for them...We did a do-it-yourself trip. Any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't care who you are or if you've been to Quebec before (I have, in 2003 and 2005) I would NEVER give any of my money to any outfitter or guide in Quebec until the tuttulik issue is resolved. Save the "their not all bad" comments for someone else,until we put pressure on them and they in turn put pressure on the theifs we should not hunt in Quebec. You want our money??? solve this problem !!If we all did this how fast do you think everyone, the government of Canada, the tourism board, the outfitters association, guides etc would step in to help solve this ?? Fast I say. We as hunters spend MILLIONS every year, we can spend it somewhere else...

I'm off my horse, BTW this is a MAJOR reason I'm going to Maine for bear this year and not back there like in 03.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As stated in the description this forum is for discussion purposes only. Anything deemed to be advertising by the moderator will be removed. However it is acceptable in your discussion to post links in reference to a particular outfitter.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My family hunted with Donat Asselin a few years back. This was a cheap drive to winter hunt. Everyone tagged out and it was a semi good experience. Housing was a little rough.
If I were going back for a winter hunt it would be with the Mirage. First class accomodations in the middle of no where.

Good luck............

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
If sportsman were to participate in a boycott of Quebec, where would you guys suggest to go? Labrador?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I hunted with Club Chambeaux 3 times. They are one of the biggest caribou outfitters in Quebec. They also own their own planes so they aren't dependent on a private carrier. Killed 6 bulls and 2 bears with them. 2 of my bulls went b.c. and 1 bear was over 500lbs and squared 7ft. We always hunted on are own.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
moosemike said:
If sportsman were to participate in a boycott of Quebec, where would you guys suggest to go? Labrador?
I'm not saying to boycott Quebec. But if you are considering hunting there, I would certainly not pay in full BEFORE leaving for the trip. Even trip insurance is not a guarantee- some policies only cover specified outfitters and others only cover specific scenarios like client illness, outfitter bankruptcy etc..... (BTW- TUTTULIK has yet to file bankruptcy). Ask questions and Read all the fine print. If you do have to pay in full, make sure your money goes into an escrow account until you are actually on your trip.
I would find out if your outfitter will be hunting on government land, or Inuit lands. Is it an Inuit owned company? This seems to be a major factor why it has been so difficult for the 280 hunters to get their money back.
The facts speak for themselves in this case. I have been following this mess for over a year, and it has been a real eye-opener for me!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hunted in Quebec once, did not have a pleasant experience. Very few animals, outfitter didn't move us like they promised they would. Anyway, I hunted AK a few years ago and had an awesome trip. Lots of bou, gorgeous scenery, but you're on the plane longer to get there! The hunt was cheaper than Quebec by probably $1500, which covered the cost of the flights. If you're spooked about Quebec, look at AK.

Jay

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
JRUPE,
i think its customary to take your bobcat guide with you on a caribou hunt. all expence paid of course.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
snowshoe said:
I hunted with Club Chambeaux 3 times. They are one of the biggest caribou outfitters in Quebec. They also own their own planes so they aren't dependent on a private carrier. Killed 6 bulls and 2 bears with them. 2 of my bulls went b.c. and 1 bear was over 500lbs and squared 7ft. We always hunted on are own.
Snowshoe- you might want to read this: Club Chambeaux

·
Registered
372 Posts
If I EVER went to Canada again it would be Newfoundland..Again a BIG if. The good ole USA has everything they have up there I beleive

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
RutNut said:
snowshoe said:
Snowshoe- you might want to read this: Club Chambeaux
I never had a problem with them. They moved us twice due to no caribou around. Many guys complain because their not in the middle of the huge herds. I can't say a bad thing about them....I had 3 great hunts with them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
RutNut said:
If you are seriously considering a Caribou trip, I would check out this site: link

I went in 2005 with a different outfitter and had a great time. Luckily, I was not one of the 280 hunters that got ripped off last year and this coming season!

Things would REALLY have to change for me to even consider another Caribou Trip to Quebec!
I think there are some pennsylvania hunters headed to canada this year, there hunting for the guys that ripped them off on there hunt, Id have to say your gambling trying to book a hunt there after what just happened

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bobcat,

Hah.....it's already been hard enough to convince the wife that spending 5-6k on a caribou hunt isn't all that bad. I haven't even convinced myself yet!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts