The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for a caribou outfitter? Looking to do a hunt as soon as 2019. Any suggestions of good outfitters or tips of anyone to avoid. Not tied to a specific area so pretty wide open

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have taken 9 caribou so far and the best hunt I have ever been on was in Alaska with Eric Decker of Grizzly Guides of Alaska. Eric is from Worland, Wyoming. The 40 Mile caribou herd is the fastest growing herd in Alaska and there are some dandy bulls running around up there. The hunt is not cheap and Alaska just doubled the price of their nonresident big game locking tags. The hunt that he offers is not for everyone either. If you are the type who needs a hot shower, warm bed in a lodge and a big hot meal every night then don't even bother calling him. It can be a rough hunt and you will need to kick in with working on the caribou and packing it out to the airstrip. I know he is booked for the net two years also, but there is a reason for that...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll second Eric Decker of Grizzly Guides of Alaska. I hunted with him in 2014 and it was an awesome hunt, but everything Kudu58 said is true. Give Eric a call. If you want a really good caribou you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found him. Would one of you guys like to PM me some pricing. I assume he is inline with other Alaskan guides...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Last I looked the pricing was right on one his website pages. I am wanting to say that the caribou hunt was $8800. If you have any specific questions about that hunt, feel free to send me a message. BTW, last I looked my grizzly was still on his webpage also.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Yes, that bottom grizzly on the first page is mine. He also got a Boone and Crockett griz this year. You can add grizzly to your hunt on a trophy fee basis. If you are serious about a good caribou hunt with the potential for a REAL TROPHY, then look no further than this guy. If you can keep your finger off the trigger when needed, you have an excellent chance at a Boone and Crockett animal. And I am dead serious about that.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I checked on the website and it now says the caribou hunt is $8500 guided 2x1 and $9800 guided 1x1. On that trip you would also have a reasonable chance at a wolf or wolverine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On that trip you would also have a reasonable chance at a wolf or wolverine.
In addition to about 500 caribou on my hunt I saw a beautiful black wolf, five wolverines, six grizzly and about a dozen Dall sheep. Plus I took a small 22 pistol and shot some ptarmigan for dinner. It was a true Alaska experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts