The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a little deal going on that kinda came around without thinking about it. I have taken 2 Quebec-Labrador caribou, 6 Woodland Caribou and now this past fall a Barren-Ground caribou. My question is this. To complete a grand slam of caribou, do I just need a Mountain caribou? Or do I need a Central Barren-ground caribou also? I am really concentrating on the Mountain caribou next. Does anyone on here have any firsthand recommendation for a Mountain caribou outfitter? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
To complete the slam you will need the mountain and the central barren ground caribou. Looks like your well on your way. I would have had 3 out of the five but choose to pass on small bulls the last time I was in Alaska on a barren ground caribou hunt. I didn't see anything like the great bull you shot this past year. Headed back up in 2014 so hopefully I can get number 3. I can tell you that Pelly Lake Wilderness Outfitters is a great outfit to go with for mountain caribou and for central barren ground I like Canada North Outfitting. These are the outfitters that I have already researched and trust to put me on a great hunt. There is one more caribou in question which is the artic island caribou and I know it's not part of the Super Slam but maybe part of another slam. Good luck on your quest!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I guess the Perry Caribou is off the list since their population is so small?
Who did you hunt barren grounds caribou with? I have been thinking about doing that for some time. Any observations?

Here is what you are looking for in a mountain caribou. I got this one with BC Safaris in 2003 on a hunt that was supposed to be a goat hunt, but changed because of the weather.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. That's a whopper Mutt. Nice job. I hunted the barren ground with Eric Decker of Grizzly Guides of Alaska. It was a secondary animal on my grizzly hunt. We were in a great area. May as well have called them mountain caribou because they were up so high. we were commonly seeing sheep where we were hunting them. Saw many nice bulls. His outfit was great, but I'm certain you could find a cheaper hunt. The woodland caribou are supposed to be some of the bigger bodied caribou, but it struck me that these barren ground ones were comparable in size.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I had thought of doing a barren grounds hunt in the Northwest Territories. Maybe soon.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Man, does that look awesome.May have to start looking into a caribou hunt instead of an elk hunt for next season.Been looking into a drop flight thru 40 mile air for either caribou or moose.I don't think they offered caribou last year because of low populations though.Just looks like a real fun and different hunt

·
Registered
142 Posts
Collingwood Brothers in BC, Hunted Moose & goat with them in 2006- They have Mountian cabibou seen alot & big'ens but didn't have a tag

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jayden41 said:
Man, does that look awesome.May have to start looking into a caribou hunt instead of an elk hunt for next season.Been looking into a drop flight thru 40 mile air for either caribou or moose.I don't think they offered caribou last year because of low populations though.Just looks like a real fun and different hunt
PM sent. I flew with 40 Mile Air last September on my grizzly/caribou hunt.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
muttleysback said:
Who did you hunt barren grounds caribou with? I have been thinking about doing that for some time. Any observations?

Here is what you are looking for in a mountain caribou. I got this one with BC Safaris in 2003 on a hunt that was supposed to be a goat hunt, but changed because of the weather.

Very niiiiiiiice!!!!!!

·
6,448 Posts
sounds like you have had some great success kudu id be very happy with a caribou single.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
treestand91 said:
sounds like you have had some great success kudu id be very happy with a caribou single.
Nobody knows more than I do how blessed I have been. If I never go on another hunt, I cannot complain.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
muttleysback said:
I had thought of doing a barren grounds hunt in the Northwest Territories. Maybe soon.
Not too sure about the regular barren ground variety, but I am almost positive that the NWT has closed all nonresident central barren ground caribou hunting.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nunavut is Central Barren Ground. I believe there and Manitoba are the only places currently where NR's can hunt the Central's. I've got a place in Manitoba that I'll hopefully be going for a Central.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jayden41, Here are some pics of my trip last fall that I flew with 40 Mile Air. Saw some bigger bulls than this one, but this is the one I ended up shooting near the end of the trip. Also tossed in a pic of my griz and one of the Supercubs that you'd be flying in.
[img:center]

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Jayden41 said:
I don't know if you'd be interested but I am putting a DIY Barren Ground Caribou hunt together for 2014. Late September above Kotzebue, Alaska. We are taking our own gear and food. The hunt will run us $2250.00 plus tags, license, and travel to Kotzebue. There will be no need to buy any special gear due to one of the guys going having all we will need. He was stationed there while in the Army and hunted for several species DIY. I have also hunted Alaska DIY on Kodiak Island and Kotzebue. The outfitter/transporter will be Northern Air Trophy.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
muttleysback said:

That's incredible! Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
kudu58 said:
Jayden41, Here are some pics of my trip last fall that I flew with 40 Mile Air. Saw some bigger bulls than this one, but this is the one I ended up shooting near the end of the trip. Also tossed in a pic of my griz and one of the Supercubs that you'd be flying in.

great pics! I love seeing hunting photos like that from places I've never been and animals I've never seen.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Ya Moose you and me both, great pictures but the one with plane is beautiful another controled crash, one tough job bush pilot??? Oh ya nice bull and grizz too, and a smile that won't quit....later

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
b&ghuntre said:
but the one with plane is beautiful another controled crash, one tough job bush pilot
We landed at a staging area first to drop some fuel off to another plane. I yelled out loud and about crapped my pants when I realized we were landing at that spot. We skimmed a few of those mountaintops fairly close, but when I realized we were landing on that one, it shook me up. The take off was even better. Go blazing out through the brush and then the ground just drops out from under you. Right after we took off, I saw a monster of a grizzly feeding on the blueberry bushes. When we went over him, he raised his head and growled at us. Pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts