The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a cardinal mounted or looking to get one that is already mounted to put in a coffee table with a red fox in a snow scene. Was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction and so i go about it legally...

Only thing i could find online was that non game birds can not be harvested unless they are damaging crops?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Cardinals are song birds and are protected in every state. They are illegal to kill or possess. If you find one on EBay steer clear of it---very clear.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you find one dead you may be able to call the game commision and get some sort of a permit.
They have falcons mounted at Cabelas and they are protected. You must be able to get a permit some how.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
They will NOT give permits to private individuals. PERIOD. They will, however, in some cases, grant "Museum permits" or "Education Permits" for Universities or museums. Cabelas. obviously, qualified as a "museum". The PGC has nothing to do with that stuff---those permits come from USFWS.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How about looking into guys who carve birds ?
There's some amazing wood carvers out there and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real or fake.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
catch one steal all the feathers and have a taxi carve a piece of foam and apply all the feathers!

seriously I see mounts all the time on the internet that have the extra touches like hitman is talking about you would have to find one somewhere that is legal!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Paul C said:
They will NOT give permits to private individuals. PERIOD. They will, however, in some cases, grant "Museum permits" or "Education Permits" for Universities or museums. Cabelas. obviously, qualified as a "museum". The PGC has nothing to do with that stuff---those permits come from USFWS.
From previous posts I think your a taxidermist so I can't arguee to much with you. Don't know if this is the same but I know a guy that has a permit for a fawn he found dead and had it mounted.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You can get PGC permits for animals and gamebirds indigenous to PA. You CANNOT get permits for Federally Protected song birds. The PGC has nothing to do with it---even if they wanted to. Yes WF, I'm a taxidermist--have been for 27 years but that has nothing to do with this thread which concerns Federal Law.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mounting protected birds is allowed with a permit ... that is under 2927 and 147.141 of the game code. I would call Harrisburg and talk with them about it to find out exactly what you have to do, but it could be done. just make sure to follow the rules to get the permits, be they state or federal ..... its not worth the fines to cut corners.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Paul C is absolutly correct, the PGC will not and neither will the USF&W issue a permit for a protected migratory bird to an individual to have a protected bird mounted. It is a violation of both state and federal law to possess one. There are no loopholes, period! Museums and institutions of education may possess them for educational purposes under a state/federal permit.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Paul C said:
You CANNOT get permits for Federally Protected song birds.
Do "songbirds" vary by states? I know you can't hunt doves in Maine because they consider them a songbird.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just some info for those who don't know who Paul C. is. He's not just any taxidermist. He's a World Class,World Champion taxidermist. Just thought some would like to know.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Some states may call a game bird a song bird or protected bird but that doesn't change the requirements of the migratory bird treaty act. Under federal law you may possess doves because they have them classified as migratory game birds, however, if your state has them protected you are bound by state law. States may further restrict what federal law says but they may not make it less restrictive..

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a Salvage permit through the PGC, along with various others, for the Nature Center I work for. This allows me to collect dead songbirds and feed them to my Peregrine Falcons. Believe or not you can't even have a Cardinal feather without this permit. Just no way to prove how you got it I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts