The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to wire some LED's to my pickup truck bed so I can see everything under my tonneau cover when digging around at night.

I am planning to put an on/off switch in the bed so I was thinking about wiring it right to the battery.

1- Do you think wiring it to the battery is a good idea? Or should I wire it to maybe the towing wire?

2- Should I put a fuse on the line?

Below is a picture I drew up real quick showing how I was planning to wire it. Does anyone see any issues? Thanks in advance for all the help and if everything goes well I plan to do a write up!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
is your truck equiped with a cargo light. if so wire it to the light on that. that way its harder to forget to shut it off and drain your battery and you wouldn't need to put in another switch. ground doesn't neccesarily have to go back to the battery just to a suitable ground

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey comblock! Thanks for the quick response. I do have a cargo light that is at the top of the cab by the third brake light. However it seems that it would be easier to run the wire to the battery than to tap into it the cargo light.

I never really thought about leaving the lights on but I reckon that is a definite possibility.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You can ground it anywhere as long as it is a good ground (Ie: clean steel, I would shoot for the tailight for a ground if you want to hide the wires)...............The power could come from the battery if you want constant power, and you could just wire a switch in, or you can take power from any wire that is constant, only on when doors are open, or only on when the key is on...............as comblock said, I would wire it to the cargo light switch, that way it can only be on when the cargo light is on, witch should have its own time out feature if it is left on.......

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
The circuit needs to be fused at the starting point on the positive wire.I would use a fuse that is only slightly higher than the startup draw on the led strip.Shouldn't be much at all.Use rubber grommets in any holes you drill and solder your connections and heat shrink them.Myself I would go right to the battery for power and use a switch activated by opening the tailgate or the bed cover.Then it will simply shut off when your done.The ground can actually be inside the bed.Drill a small hole,put an eyelet on the ground wire and screw it down tight.Do yourself a big favor and don't cut any factory wiring.If you tap into another lighting system on a newer vehicle you might get body control codes.I don't know the year of make of your truck though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts