The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nowhere does it say this forum must be hunting related, so here goes: I have a '93 buick. I am fairly well versed on mechanics and electronics of autos, but have a problem I can't locate/get rid of. It developed a massive static in the radio, which varies with the engine rpms. I changed the alternator, three coil packs, and plug wires with no help. In my knowledge there are only three things left, but I may be missing something. The three things are the battery, the radio, and the antenna. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, pulled the radio out and ran a ground from the battery to the metal case. no help. Pulled all three coil block off and cleaned all the contacting surfaces, no help. I even removed the alternator wires and ran it just on the battery. no help. ran a ground from the battery to the engine block and to the chassis. no help Man, about the only thing I haven't checked is the air in the tires!

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Nowhere does it say this forum must be hunting related, so here goes
You are correct..

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the plugs from what I can determine. I pulled one wire at a time and the sound didn't change pitch or frequency

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
gentleben said:
yep, pulled the radio out and ran a ground from the battery to the metal case. no help. Pulled all three coil block off and cleaned all the contacting surfaces, no help. I even removed the alternator wires and ran it just on the battery. no help. ran a ground from the battery to the engine block and to the chassis. no help Man, about the only thing I haven't checked is the air in the tires!
Probably, the spare is low.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
you said the sound varies with engine rpm's ,right?you sure you are using resistor plugs. also when did this start to happen

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had the car for four years. The problem just started about two months ago. Same plugs that have always been in it. Car runs great, no missing, etc. Just this darn "rpm static". I'm wondering now if the electronic ignition module that the coil packs mount on, could be going bad. It definitely appears to me to be oriented with the spark system, and the module is the only thing I don't have a borrowed part to try in it's place.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i might have a plete from a 91 bonnaville if i dig around
could be hit or miss and a few weeks b4 i look

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't pull the battery leads as the car will shut off, because the computer won't have any power to do it's job, i.e. run the motor

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
believe it or not, after all this time the battery finally went dead and after replacing it, the static went away. Turns out is was the battery the entire time, slowly dying.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, I spoke too soon. The static is still there. I have since replaced the plate under the coil packs and still there. I'm really beginning to think it's the radio. I borrowed another radio and speaker and will try them next.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
First take a portable radio (battery operated) and place it inside the car. If you get the static just like the in-dash radio...then it is electromagnetic (not coming thru the electrical wire feed to the in-dash unit).

If it is electro magnet then you must find the soource of the interference to fix.

If the portable works find, the quick fix is a choke on the hot feed wire to the radio; radio shack should have it or go to a good ham radio store or on-line. Since your car is dated and working fine; I'd just get the supressor and keep driving a clasic, and listen to more Anne Murray.

·
Registered
322 Posts
gentleben
there should be a ground wire going to the hood.
make sure one end didn't come apart. believe it or not
that is what that wire is there for so the hood doesn't screw up the radio. I have seen the end going to the fire wall corrode and make the radio angry
Mike

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no ground wire and no place that looks like there ever was one. I have access to an identical radio and when I get back from Colorado I will swap them out and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts