The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the .223 and the 5.56 the same round ? I see advertised in the Sportsmen Guide for these in the same ad. I'm new to this so I just had to ask.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
707 Posts
No, you will get higher pressures with 5.56...if you get an AR15 and want to shoot both .223 and 5.56, you should get a Wylde chamber.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O.K. thank you again.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Just about every AR now is chambered in 5.56mm which you can also shoot .223 ammo. There is no need to look for a special chambering.

It's not the pressure of the 5.56 round that it an issue, but rather the OAL of the round. While the 5.56 may have greater pressure when fired in a true .223 chamber, the 5.56 may often have a longer bullet when compared to the .223 round.

The longer round in a true .223 chamber could greatly increase the pressure, possibly damaging the rifle.

I have two AR's; a Bushmaster and a S&W MP Sport, both with 5.56mm chambers. Both can shoot .223 and true 5.56mm ammo.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve in PA said:
Just about every AR now is chambered in 5.56mm which you can also shoot .223 ammo. There is no need to look for a special chambering.

It's not the pressure of the 5.56 round that it an issue, but rather the OAL of the round. While the 5.56 may have greater pressure when fired in a true .223 chamber, the 5.56 may often have a longer bullet when compared to the .223 round.

The longer round in a true .223 chamber could greatly increase the pressure, possibly damaging the rifle.

I have two AR's; a Bushmaster and a S&W MP Sport, both with 5.56mm chambers. Both can shoot .223 and true 5.56mm ammo.

O.K. Steve, it was confusing me. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts