The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the single light just inside the rear cap window but was thinking of adding more lighting to the inside of my cap. Lots of times while trapping I'm looking for something small, dark colored, in a fairly dark bed of a black truck while it's dark out, so extra light would be handy. Anyone added anything like that?

I was thinking maybe some sort of tube lights or something. The big question is, how do you attach them? I'd like them up high as opposed to under the bed rails. Maybe something along the tops of the windows?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here's how I solved the problem in my F 250 fiberglass cap:

Bought a 4 or 5' piece of of "L" shape metal angle iron (I believe that's what it's called).
The angle iron has predrilled holes/slots.
Mounted it to the roof with two bolts (be sure to seal the holes with some sealant).
I mounted this angle iron as close to the the tailgate/window as possible.
Then, I bought at Walmart two battery powered fold-up lights. These lights were about $20 each. You can select half power or full power.
Mounted one on each side of the angle iron, using some scrap wire. The nice thing is that othe things can be hung from that angle iron: whisk broom, ball cap, etc.

The lights have magnets on them so they can be removed for other applications.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to screw with batteries, because you know as well as I do that they'll need replaced the one time when you REALLY need to be able to see.

I already have a 3 cigarette lighter style set of outlets wired in, as well as the interior cap light, all powered by the main battery. I'll just tie into that as the LED's pull very little power.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
G2CDeer said:
I bought this kit online and installed it in my garage in about 3 hrs. Hardest part was fishing the wire's to the inside of the cab to hook the wire up to an on/off switch.

have the same set up in my truck...i ran the wire down through the tailight hole picked up 12v from my 7 pin trailer connector..mounted switch on side rail

·
Registered
973 Posts
Also have this set up in my truck from led glow and the brake light bar with reverse lights ran the brake light to trailer plug and the bed lights hooked up to the old cap power in the bed with a off/ on switch love them i see i think chevy is giving you them on there new trucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts