The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it lawfull To take a 44 cal old army replica deer hunting in regular firearms season. Asking for someone else cause im realy not sure. I have shot one like it before and I know it would be plenty powerful enough. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Handgun must be 50 caliber or larger.

·
Registered
25,649 Posts
"Muzzle loading handguns 50 caliber and larger" are legal for big game. Far as I know, they consider cap and ball black powder revolvers to be muzzle loaders?

A 44 Walker Colt repro might be powerful enough to cleanly kill deer at close ranges, but I would not consider using either my 36 or 44 1851 Navy Colt repros for deer, if legal. They do not produce enough energy, in my opinion.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Here are the regs:

(b) Flintlock muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use manmade materials attached to the hammer or frizzen to create sparks.

(ii) Use telescopic sights.

(iii) Use or possess multiple projectile ammunition or ammunition other than required by section 2322(a)(4) of the act (relating to prohibited devices and methods).

(iv) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

(c) Muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the muzzleloading deer season with a muzzleloading firearm. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a percussion cap, primer or flintlock fired design. The firearm must be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the muzzleloading deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use or possess multiple projectile ammunition or ammunition other than required by section 2322(a)(4) of the act.

(ii) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

(d) Regular and special firearms deer seasons.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the regular and special firearms deer seasons with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated, centerfire firearm.

(ii) A bow and arrow as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(i).

(iii) A crossbow and bolt as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(ii).

(iv) A muzzleloading firearm as permitted under subsection (b)(1) or (c)(1).

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Denny.....I'm sure John is right on this. But you do make an interesting point. Those Old Army and Old Navy Replica guns aren't true "muzzle loaders", but they are "front stuffers" as you have to load 'em from the front of the chamber.

I honestly don't know what the ft\lb energy those handguns have.....but I wouldn't think they would be good beyond 35 yards. Just my guess.

Dave

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, they really are not muzzleloaders and before hand guns were legal in the muzzleloading season any muzzleloading handgun ws not legal. I don't know of any .50 cal black powder revolvers so I'm guessing the problem of just exactly how to clasify the revolvers is moot.

·
Registered
25,649 Posts
Makin' noise and smoke.

Many years ago when I first had my 36 cal. Navy Colt, thumped a few woodchucks with it, while sneaking around pasture banks. Got a serious snoot-full of smoke on one shot, darn near made me pass out.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Yeah....their pretty much a shoot for fun gun......if you call gettin black powder soot on your hands\clothing and gettin the grease you have to use to seal off each chamber all over your hands\clothing.....and that's just to shoot the first 6 shots!!!!

I'll reload for the 44 mag anyday. A lot more thump for a lot less work!!!

MHO

Dave

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
PassThrou said:
Is it lawfull To take a 44 cal old army replica deer hunting in regular firearms season. Asking for someone else cause im realy not sure. I have shot one like it before and I know it would be plenty powerful enough. Thanks for the help.
" Regular Firearms Season "

Wouldn't this make a difference?

·
Super Moderator
28,456 Posts
50 cal or larger in reg firearms season.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope, the law is the same for any deer season.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I asked a PGC officer the same question a few years ago. So we looked in the regs & this is what it says...

2009-2010 Pa Regs..
REGULATIONS (Arms & Ammunition)
General Statewide Seasons:
1) Manually operated centerfire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact;
2) muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a <u>muzzleloading</u> handgun 50 caliber or
larger;

So, cap & balls don't meet the requirements. I wanted to use mine during the old three day doe season. Though it would have been cool to take a doe with one!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I believe I said the same thing and posted the regulation.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes you did...I think. Remember K.I.S.S.?

K-keep
I-it
S-simple
S-sir

Being polite there
. Not trying to be a smart***, just explaining it simply the way they explained it to me, after we looked it up.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
D'Oh! CENTERFIRE...one little word makes all the difference...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
During the 1995 antlered season a big doe walked up to me. There had been shooting just before. I shot her and while I was field dressing it, a hunter came up and ask if she was hit. He said he had shot her 5 times with his 36 cal. cap and ball. We checked and found 5 holes in her shoulder very little blood. When I pulled the hide off the 5 balls were just under it and fell out. I know him personally so I called him and he came over to look. Black powder pistols just don't have it. The shoulder was bruised badly but no penetration past the hide.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
And small game if the revolver is .40 caliber or less.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts