The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a cap and ball single shot pistol .45 from a guy on HPA a while back. The .45 cal ball slides down the barrel with no effort so of course i put a patch in before the ball. I bought another pistol almost like it but a shorter barrel from another member here on HPA. But this one i cant put the ball down the barrel just by itself, it says it is a firing model. Neither of them were shot before i got them. The one that i cant put ball down by itself i still havent shot because i dont know why the .45 cal ball wont go down. any of you guys help me on this?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Make sure the bore is cleaned with a good scrubbing with either a brass brush or a jag/brush with 0000 steel wool well oiled.Make sure no rust or corrosion is down there.If the ball still won't go down then you probably have two slightly different bore cuts.One being a slight bit looser/tighter than the other.Simply get a different size ball to fit your bore.
In rifles I have a 45 that likes a .440 ball while another likes a .445,and one that uses a .451.That one I even tried using .454 with a .015 patch.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bore is clean, i have 2 boxes of of the same diameter ball, i dont know what it is off hand, because im at work. ok. ill try looking into different balls. any other suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
While the guns sometimes at first glance appear the same. my brother has a Japanese made 44 caliber cap and ball muzzleloader and I a nearly the same gun from Italy, also marked 44 caliber. The Italian made one is actually closer to a 43 caliber. What markings do the guns have, Made In Spain, Made in Italy, Adessa, Jukar, Brescia. That would help alot. There were a few Belgian repro guns sold here as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took it to my gunshop and he he measured it and it will take a .385 to .395 ball. now i just need to find those size balls.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
410-er ill try and get down there. alot of my buddies that shoot blackpowder they tell me to go there too.

sun I checked that website out and there is alot of goodies there. thanks for the site!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts