The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local school district has made a list of songs that the kids cant sing anymore. To name a few......Oh Susanna, Old Dan Tucker, and Turkey in the Straw. Granted, the original versions had racial lyrics applied to the melody. Those lyrics were cleaned up long ago. Most people don't even know what the original lyrics were unless they research them. It's absurd what is happening in the schools today.

·
Administrator
28,157 Posts
The problem here is that in some of the old songs the lyrics were written in the vernacular (which means as the words were spoken in some time or place or by a certain class of people) but I don't believe those songs were written in that manner with malice or to be hurtful because that actually is the way the people spoke back in the day.
Joe Dolce's "Shaddup you face" song about how his italian mother addressed him is a good example.

What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect?
What-a you t'ink you do, why you look-a so sad?
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah shaddap-a you face!
That's-a my mama, I can remember!

Is that racist? Wellll, maybe not to you and me and a whole lot of Italians, and everyone in the audience certainly seems to be having fun, BUT if you're one of those people who are incredibly skilled at finding racism behind every bush and boulder I'm sure you'd find it to be highly objectionable.
I have no respect for people like that or for the way think they can rule the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
eenie meenie mighty moe, catch a ** by his toe, if he hollers let him go....

I guess that ones out too? How are you supposed to have pick up teams?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an old hen that had a wooden leg. The best ol hen that ever laid an egg. She laid more eggs than any hen on the farm. Another drink of water wouldn't do her any harm.

Turkey in the straw. Turkey in the hay. Mix'm up shake'm up any way at all. Strike up the tune called turkey in the straw.

Dangerous stuff!

·
Administrator
28,157 Posts
Google Shortenin' Bread lyrics by the Andrews Sisters it's the newer version, but at the top of that page Google asks if you meant Shortnin' Bread. Check 'em both out.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the lyrics are cleaned up, and the tune is still considered racist, why clean up the lyrics?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Knowing how conservative this particular district is, a ban such as this probably came down from the Wolf administration in Harrisburg. It fits his mold more than it does that of the local school board. I'll bet if everyone investigates, they will find this ban list in their own districts in pa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts