Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have them?
I am comparing:
Burris 2-7x35mm FullField II Rifle Scope
to
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Rifle Scope.

I think I may then mount a reflex scope on top for close fast shooting.

Any and all feedback will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
the best thing to do IMO would to be get a scout style scope, and have the barrel drilled and tapped for a long eye relief scope........it gives you the magnification if you need it, but you could shoot it very instinctive like iron sights too.....

http://www.burrisoptics.com/special1.html#2x

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I'm a fan and personally use Leupold scopes. I have tried them all and think that the Leupolds are top notch. The scope you particularly are looking at power wise are perfect for your application. 2 power gives you great field of view for close in shots, and the higher 7 power is great in case you have to take a longer shot. Good luck with whatever choice you make and let me know if you need any further assistance.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have leupolds and like them but have become a fan of the Zeiss conquest, and trijicon accupoints. Bushnells and nikons have also been good for me. This is the same chevy-ford argument, all have their devotees. IMO any company that puts out an inferior product in today's market won't be around long. However you get what you pay for (usually) so scopes in the $400 range and up are usually the ones I stick to regardless of the company. But obviously you have to work within the budget. I would say the ones you chose would suit the purpose.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
2 of my driving guns where Leupold 2-7x33. One wears a detachable Leupold fixed 2.5 x 20 scope and XS peep sights.
My other available ones all have ghost and peep sights. I can decide on the firearm knowing who and where we are driving. If I will be moving/driving all day it will be the fixed 2.5 or peep sights. If I will be alternating driving and standing it will probably be the 2-7x33.

I am a firm beleiver in the quality and toughness of Leupold scopes.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like leupold scopes and don't have any experience with Burris. That being said, I have a read a ton of great reviews on Burris. I am going to head up to cabelas today to check them out.
Also, Zeiss has a 1.5 x 6 30mm tube and 42 obj that is selling for around 1,700. It looks like a perfect scope for a drive gun. I can afford the scope but I kind of don;t want to put something that nice on something I am going to be bouncing and trudging through the brush with. I know myself and I tend to be hard on equipment. hmm... So many choices..

·
Registered
182 Posts
SCH CO,
I bought a burris fulfield 2 3x9 and have to have it sent back to the company. Whenever I increase the magnification from 3 to 9 it also raises my shot groups about 14inches. This could just be a fluke, it is the first burris scope i've ever owned. Burris is amazing in low light though, just as good if not better than leupold.

·
Registered
555 Posts
sch Co said:
I like leupold scopes and don't have any experience with Burris. That being said, I have a read a ton of great reviews on Burris. I am going to head up to cabelas today to check them out.
Also, Zeiss has a 1.5 x 6 30mm tube and 42 obj that is selling for around 1,700. It looks like a perfect scope for a drive gun. I can afford the scope but I kind of don;t want to put something that nice on something I am going to be bouncing and trudging through the brush with. I know myself and I tend to be hard on equipment. hmm... So many choices..
If you have that kind of budget, look into the VX6 1-6X. It can be had for ~$800. Also, a Minox ZA5 1.5-8 goes for around $500 (even as low as $400). The Elite 6500 1.25-8 would be another good one at $700.

With a budget such as you mention, I would go with one of the 5X or 6X magnification range scopes. It means spending more money than the Burris, but will provide better optics and a magnification that is not really a compromise at either short or moderate range.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
IMO that Zeiss you mentioned would be a good one to use. Part of the cost of the higher end scopes is the quality that allows them to take a beating and keep on going. I wouldn't worry about it being "too nice" , they were made to be used.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
sch Co said:
I think I may then mount a reflex scope on top for close fast shooting.
I like being different and this would be very different! I've never seen anyone in the deer woods with such a rig yet!. I would vote for just the reflex sight. If you go with that dual rig, you better practice allot.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The more I use my TRU-GLO red dot sight the more I like it, might be worth a look for fast action.

I have one mounted on a 10" contender pistol in 357 Super Mag, it has extreme recoil with 180 gr bullets and sight has stood up to all I can give it.

Inexpensive at around $60 maybe less depending where you get it. Gander MT. may have them on sale right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
you cant go wrong with a ghost ring peep and a williams fire sight front bead,your eye centers the bead automatic,no thinking about just put the bead on your target and shoot.my rainy day walking gun wears this setup and this year I shot my doe at over 100 yards across a logged area.no accuracy loss and very fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts