The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of doing an overnighter fron Cochranton to Franklin. Anybody familliar with this stretch that can give some input? I know there are some islands below Utica to camp on but info is pretty sparse. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
not 110% sure but I think you would blow through that stretch pretty quick. may want to considers starting higher near Meadville and staying overnight around Cochranton

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twenty of us ended up going last weekend June 5&6. Started out at a camp a couple of miles up from Cochranton. Down to the Franklin launch was about 23 miles. Stayed on the first island below Utica. The water was up about a foot and a half and pretty muddy. Still cought a few fish though. What a night Saturday was! We got 3 to 4 inches of rain and gale force winds all night. The water level was great-I think at normal levels we would have had some good walks through the shallows. All in all it was a good trip. We'll have to try it once on normal water to see how it is before we permanantly add it to our list of floats.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My grandparents built a place on French Creek, 1 mile north of Cochranton, just south of Shaws Landing. was in the family until 2005. My stepmother sold it after my Dad died.

I always remember the canoes coming down the creek all the time, as I was racing around in 12ft with 9.9

1 - 5 of 5 Posts