The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone make any recommendations on what would be the way to go? Typically, I do a 2 day one night trip over a weekend. I like to fish out of whatever I might use. I am sort of leaning towards getting a kayak, but am concerned about the ability to store everything I may need to bring with me. Usually I will have a cooler, tent, limited amount of clothes and a sleeping bag. Would a kayak be able to accommodate that, or should I stick with a canoe? I wouldn't mind being able to go in some rougher water if needed.

Also if anyone has any recommendations on a specific canoe or kayak, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to pack up my Wilderness Ride 135 and go for a few days. Plenty of room, stable enough to stand in, easy enough to maneuver, and since it's an ocean stye kayak, easy on and off. The only drawbacks are, you'd have to pack creatively to keep things from getting wet due to the built-in drain holes, and is a touch on the heavy side, so portages kinda stink.

I know there are bigger and better (i.e. more expensive) kayaks out there, and I wouldn't be afraid to do what you plan to do in a canoe either. Having the Ride and a canoe at my disposal, the Ride would be my first choice though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a Old town Vapor VT12 and I love it. We do two night trips down the river a couple times a year. I usually have a tent, sleeping bag, (2) tarps, air mattress, axe, saw, a cooler, and a dry bag with extra clothes.

The thing to keep in mind if you get a kayak is to make sure how much storage room you will have in it before you buy it. I can put stuff in front and behind me. Also have bungees up front, and a hatch at the rear.

The other thing is to use "back packing items" to save room. Example would be a compressed sleeping bag, and a small tent. I can fit both in size 12 shoe box.

No matter which you decide to get you will have a good time. Just remember to be safe. Any questions give me a PM.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
You may want to look at the NuCanoe Frontier. It is a kayak but functions like a canoe in many aspect. The open deck design and large carrying capacity are huge bonuses.

Man, this thing is sweet. 41 inch beam so it is super stable. Pinnacle 360 seat that rotates and is attached to a track to move back and forth. Casting bar to make stand up fishing and bowfishing a breeze. I also got what they call the Blackpak storage container which has rod holders and a nice area to keep gear and safety equipment. You can literally walk around on the deck.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Has anyone here seen or tried the Wingman for canoes? A friend of mine from VA has been making them and they are starting to sell them to the public now. Basically a way to rig coolers to your canoe, turning it into a more stable vessel.

http://wingmanoutfitter.com/

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any pics of how they pack their kayaks for a couple day trip? I can not for the life of me figure out how I would get a tent, sleeping bag, cooler with food and drinks, and misc. camping gear in one of those.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Hunter,

I see it says you are from Crawford County. If you are interested in the NuCanoe Frontier model with it's open deck design, Lake Road Marine at Conneaut Lake is a dealer. I know they just got a shipment in. You could go look at one yourself to see how much deck space there actually is on the 12 models. I believe the weight capacity is close to #900 as well.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
huntergreen said:
muskyman62 said:
JACKSON KAYAKS!!!!!!

the end all be all. amazing!!!!!!
I was checking them out pretty seriously, They look like an awesome rig.
the big rig is mind boggling! it is expensive but you will likely never need another kayak EVER!!!!!! i am a big guy and it handles me with great ease plus a ton of gear. i could easily go on a week long trip with gear and rations and be perfectly fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts