The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,ve been thinkin about getting maybe a Canoe.How do you haul em?Do you have to have a special trailer or do some of you stick em in your bed and up over the cab.If I was gonna get one it would be the wider longer version that would be to big to straddle a bed.How about the Kayaks?I see some are on roof racks but they are smaller than what we need.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
I've had boats, canoes and now a kayak. My canoe (17 ft) was hauled on my truck with a cap with roof racks. I have an 11 foot kayak, emotions stealth angler, now and couldn't be happier. Light weight, stick it in the bed of my truck now and go.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Depends how long your truck bed is,and how long the canoe is.
I wouldn't lean it up over the cab,the wind would catch under it.You would be better off setting the front end on the bed of your truck and the back end tilted up over your tailgate,with a piece of red flagging on the end of it.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Either with a regular ladder rack or any of the specialty racks. Some half racks go in one side of the bed pockets and some go in the receiver hitch. I had a regular full size ladder rack. Sold the canoes a while back and just recently sold the rack.

Here's some of the specialty mounts.
http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/racks.php

·
Registered
374 Posts
Carried many a canoe on the roof using racks or foam canoe blocks. A strap over the canoe in the center to the sides and a tie down front and back. Hauled them level and not tilted. Make sure it is snugly tied down.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I just stick the bow of the 14' canoe in the front corner of the bed, drivers side. Tie it down. I leave the tailgate down and let the canoe ride angled towards the back passengers side of the tailgate. I use a couple straps to tie it down. No problems. I do run a flag off the stern deck. It's a Sportspal, so it'll take up some room.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you have a utility trailer I haul my canoe upside down on it ,, mounted to 4x4 across top of trailer ,, nice and low easy for one person plus you have room in the trailer for other stuff

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I have a 4 Runner with roof racks. I also have two bad shoulders that make it hard to lift any weight straight up. I purchased a rack that goes in my receiver hitch. I can lay the canoe in the rack and then lift the free end and rotate it onto the roof.

The same set up would work with a pick up. You would need a single roof rack over the cab and the rack I have. Leave the rack in the receiver hitch and it would support the rear of the canoe.

I'll try to find a link and post it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts