The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some collective wisdom. I have a CVA Optima V2. Sighted it in 2 yr ago with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 BDC and it shot really well. Didn't touch it last year due to injury. Took out today and it shot2" low @ 100 yds. Tried elevating 2 " and it shot the same. Raised it 2 more inches and stayed low, no upward movement at all. What gives? How an anything happen to it when all it has done is sit in gun safe for 2 years?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Try tapping the adjustment screw, with the plastic handle on a screw driver. See if that works. After season send it back to Nikon for repair. Also try turning the adjustment both up and down to see if that helps.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If it doesn't move after tapping the turrets and moving them both around, you could try shimming the rear ring for a temporary fix. A shim or two cut from a soda can and placed between the ring and scope should raise it enough to get you close to zero.

As stated before, if it is grouping, sounds like a scope problem that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a spare scope but I'll try taping on the adjustment knobs. I'm going to call Nikon also just to see what they have to say. Thanks fir your thoughts.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fired many shots trying to zero and swabbed after each shot. That's the same technique I used originally when first sighted in. I'm using 100 gr (2 pellets) with 250 gr Barnes all copper sabots. Will call Nikon and post their thoughts after doctors visit this PM. Also after trying to adjust with turrets I shot on second circle (BDC) and made no change in point of impact. So really sounds like scope issue.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Also after trying to adjust with turrets I shot on second circle (BDC) and made no change in point of impact. So really sounds like scope issue.
This part confuses me...

If you're saying you aimed using the 2nd BDC circle and hit the same POI as when you used the crosshairs, it sounds like the problem is not necessarily the scope...
What size groups are you getting and what was the target distance?
Even if the scope has an issue with the turrets not moving the reticle, simply aiming higher (by using one of the BDC circles) should move your POI higher.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
This part confuses me...

If you're saying you aimed using the 2nd BDC circle and hit the same POI as when you used the crosshairs, it sounds like the problem is not necessarily the scope...
What size groups are you getting and what was the target distance?
Even if the scope has an issue with the turrets not moving the reticle, simply aiming higher (by using one of the BDC circles) should move your POI higher.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It sounds, specifically, like there's a serious issue with the elevation erector assembly, but the part mentioned above confused me, as well. If you changed which hold point you were using (crosshairs versus BDC bubble), we can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If the mounts were moving, it shouldn't/wouldn't group..

OP is saying he's grouping, but can't move the group with turret adjustments or a different holdover... And that's the confusing part.
If the scope was loose, it wouldn't group or should at least string shots across the paper as things move.
If the scope is mounted correctly, but has a frozen adjustment mechanism, applying holdover should move the POI, even if it's not hitting POA.
Since OP states the POI didn't move with holdover, the only two logical possibilities are that the "problem" is either a) combination of broken scope and bad luck (IE, something worked free in the scope enough that by the time he applied holdover, the reticle moved the POI down an equal amount to his holdover) or b) behind the stock.

(No offense meant, OP, I'm really struggling with trying to find a 3rd possibility)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering about no change in POI when I moved/elevated by using one of the circles and it made no differences. Anyway I called Nikon and after some issue about registration of which scope and which one I had a problem currently. So the guy says before they would consider repair I needed to do 2 of 3 things without correcting the problem. First I should reset to factory specs by turning turrets several times and returning half that number and do both turrets. Second,remount the scope. Third, bore sight the scope. So I did remount the scope though all screws were tight. Then gad it bore sighted. Both cross wires seem to be moving appropriately. Going to range tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
it could be that the cross hairs became "stuck".

normally re-adjusting up & down plus left & right will correct the issue.
what gets me is that this problem is rare for a Leupold,Nikon and a few other brand name scopes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had almost the same problem with my Nikon scope sent it back to them and they gave me a new scope and it was a different model. The model I have now is no longer made it was called EXR inline BDC 300.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zeroing MZ

So scope remounted, actually bases were solid so only reattached rings, bore sighted. This AM to the range and 2" high and 2" right!! Did this twice so hurrah not to zero. This was 25 yds. Couple more adjustments and to within 1" of 1" square center. Then bingo extension on rod busted off. Now cannot clean barrel nor load properly! Any way I can now do appropiate adjustments and zero in at 100 yds. Problem solved? Maybe but why did it happen in the first place just sitting in the gun safe? Can it happen again? So when that 150" walks out in front of me at 65 yds the buck and I will find out at the same time whether or not he gets hit......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts