The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done without a pressure canner?

Also, how is it done?

Ideas, comments?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
My family has canned deer meat on the stove in a traditional canner for over 30 yrs...We learned from the amish in our area...Todays standards frown on the idea though..

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, but how is it done?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Dutch, the people I know that do it put the bonless meat in the jar and some salt and put them in the cold packer or preasure cooker and fire the jars up with the lids loose. I don't know the times or tempratures. Someone here must can venison.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading a teaspoon of salt and cook it for 3 hours? But, what about adding liquid to it?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It makes its own liquid.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Dutch said:
I was reading a teaspoon of salt and cook it for 3 hours? But, what about adding liquid to it?
That is about the amount of time my sister does her's and she adds a little less salt.....

She makes sure she has an extra pot of water boiling so that if the pot with the jars goes below the top of the jars, she can add more water with out colling the boil off!

·
Registered
651 Posts
personally we chop up an onion, a tspoon of soy sauce a pinch of salt and a lil garlic then throw the cans in the pressure cooker no added water is nessecary...it is amazing though

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
dammit i'm hungry. The texture of canned venison is PERFECT for my post gastric bypass digestive tract.

My deer this fall will be split between canned and jerky.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use a tablespoon of salt in quart jars and i dont add any water. I use a regular canner and leave them in for 3hrs. Just make sure the water level stays at the bottom of the rings. I've heard of people adding beef bullion cubes or onions to the jars but i have'nt tried that yet.......

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i add - a splash of worchesthire, onions, garlic, salt,pepper, and a jalepeno in each jar. I always pressure cook - no liquid in jars - makes its own juice

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Put chunks of meat in jars, I prefer the widemouth jars as they are easier to pack. 1 teaspoon of salt, a strip of bacon on top of meat, cold pack for 3 hours. good eating, been doing it for over 35 years.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That bacon sounds pretty good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
what do you mean by cold pack? I have never had canned venison and really doesn't sound difficult to do.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It means to put jars in a kettle called a cold packer and bring them to a boil for a set period of time. When the jars cool down the lisd are sucked down by a vacume and sealed. The lid rings are then tightened.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I've been canning deer meat for the past 30 years. I use a regular canner to boil them in and add some water and no salt. It always comes out good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts