The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
you don't
I had to ask because I fail to what good it would do since you are pressure cooking anyways.
I used to can sockeye salmon when I lived in Anchorage. A teaspoon of salt and maybe a teaspoon of mustard. Turned out awesome and lasted forever. No blanching ever required. I may have to can some venison this year myself.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I had to ask because I fail to what good it would do since you are pressure cooking anyways.
I used to can sockeye salmon when I lived in Anchorage. A teaspoon of salt and maybe a teaspoon of mustard. Turned out awesome and lasted forever. No blanching ever required. I may have to can some venison this year myself.
Nephew just transfer to Mo. Stay 3 years in Alaska and loved every minute. Army Captain . Once you start to can deer meat your hook for life

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
If you hunt and fish and don't love Alaska....you would be outta your mind. I do so miss it. I spent 4 years there in the service. Awesome is the only word to describe it. I will certainly can some venison now. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
One question I have: I have only done mine in a water bath canner (not pressure). I always seem to break a jar. Is there a way to keep that from happening?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
One question I have: I have only done mine in a water bath canner (not pressure). I always seem to break a jar. Is there a way to keep that from happening?
Be sure you use a rack to keep the jars from sitting on the bottom, Don't pack your jars to tight or full,You need room to expand. Always check for cracks or chips.,Use jars strictly for canning

·
Registered
923 Posts
As others have said use the tough cuts of venison cubed, pack to about 3/4 inch below the top, add 1 tsp. canning salt, pressure cook about an hour and your good to go. I like to add some beef suet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
About an hour is prescribed as 90 minutes at 10 psi for quart jars in the books.

Breaking jars in a boiling water bath is probably because your jars are cold and the water is hot. Safety wise, it is considered a no-no to bwb any meat. Jar breakage can even happen in pressure canning if you have the canner already simmering and put a cold jar on the rack. For cold pack with pressure canner, I leave the canner cold to start as well, then let it vent a long time.

I printed out some excellent meat canning instructions a few years back written by a very experienced canner, Jackie Clay. It is a good read for anyone who has or wants to can deer. There are reasons to brown but oftentimes I cold pack.

The other day I discovered a pint of deer/bacon/maple syrup sausage from 2018 that I browned and canned. No sage and you make the patties a little bigger than the widemouth jar so when you cook them they shrink just enough to stack into the jars. I drizzled on maple syrup during the fry before packing. Really good stuff...going to be breakfast some time soon. Anyway here are about the best instructions around.

"You can safely and easily can your own meat By Jackie Clay" Issue #105 May/June 2007.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well worth it. Heated and served over rice or egg noodles...yum. it terribly easy. You need a pressure canner also. Dont try the old fashioned way. I dont k how about you but botulism poisoning just doesn't sound like a good way to go out. Check out:
The nice thing about a pressure canner it opens up the ability to can other things that a water bath cannot do safely.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Canned venison is awesome, and should be done in a pressure canner. ....food poisoning is never pleasant!

The blanching is not necessary....it does ensure a clear liquid in the finished product. More of an aesthetic thing.....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't do it because I don't trust canning meat but I find it delicious, I wish I knew how to do it right.
I felt the same 20 years ago, Get a good pressure cooker and follow the directions "simple" The hard part is getting a deer(y)

·
Registered
238 Posts
wash jars in dish washer then heat the lids in hot water on stove put jars in oven at 185 then fill jars to neck with meat put a tspoon of salt in jar wipe top of jar to make sure it is clean put lids on tight have a spacer in bottom of caner weather hot bath or pressure have water below neck of jars bring to boil or pressure and do to time remove from heat and let cool remove jars and wait till they seal don't remove rings till they r cold like 24hrs

21 - 35 of 35 Posts