The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many of you can some of your deer meat or any other kind? What are some of the things you put with it? What method of canning do you use? Seems to be alot of people I know are doing it with different methods & ingredients. I put some French Onion soup in my last batch but haven't used any yet to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've canned bunches. IT's great !!
I use the cold pack method with french onion soup. I also canned bear. It keeps great and it's easy to use.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I just got into canning. I have tried some variations so far but have not tasted them yet.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have canned venison and bear for years. Easiest recipe is the tastiest to me:
1/2 small onion or 1 clove garlic in bottom of jar, add 1 or 2 tsp canning salt, pack with cut up raw meat to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on lid and process 90 minutes at 10lbs pressure (it is different if you have a gauge style canner)! Meat will make its own broth. The neat thing about a pressure cooker/canner is that you don't have to sterilize the lids or jars because of the temperature that is reached. Couldn't be simpler!

This is the basic recipe, you can experiment and add things for your own taste. I have a friend that makes hers with tomato juice and it is delicious!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
do you cook deer meat before you can it? or do you cook it once you decied to open the can?

might be a stupid question but oh well haha

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I put it in raw. Some cook it to rare before they can it, but it is not necessary. Once it is canned it is cooked. You can eat it right out of the jar. I like to use it as a base for vegetable soup, stews, or just warm it up and make a good gravy to serve over mashed potatoes. In fact all of this talk about it made me have a jar tonite! I had a canned venison and gravy sandwich with a baked potato and corn and a nice salad. My Daughter dropped off some cupcakes and well, the rest is history. Sorry you weren't here to share there was plenty!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I like to keep it simple. Pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, cubed meat raw into the jar then process in pressure canner. I did get fancy last year with one batch by putting a clove of garlic into each jar
To eat, I simply remove the lid and microwave the jar then pour it over white rice or egg noodles.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
One of the best things I hae ever tasted was canned pork loin rounds canned with a pinch of saffron in each jar.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I will have to try this sometime.

Canned meat has never been high on my list--for a number of reasons:

1. Spam
2. Field rations
3. Store bought beef stew from an outfitter
4. Did I mention Spam?

Even canned hams are bad mojo in my book.

Alaskans can a lot of salmon and the Newfies are big into canning moose--so I guess I will just have to get over my prejudices and give this a try---but not today

·
Registered
707 Posts
Home canned meat(in a jar)is nothing like spam,army rations,MRES, store stewing meat. It is simply a method of preserving meat the does not involve, brining, salting, freezing or drying. This like pressure cooking inside a jar. Remember a once famous beer used the glass lined tanks.PS comparing home canning to spam is like comparing three day old road kill to prime rib.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I agree! My first exposure to it was when I dated a woman whose family lived on a farm on the Pa and NY border. They had deer meat times two. It was great!

Spam is not that baaaaad! Still like a good old spam and eggs breakfast!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
bobby2bears said:
I agree! My first exposure to it was when I dated a woman whose family lived on a farm on the Pa and NY border. They had deer meat times two. It was great!

Spam is not that baaaaad! Still like a good old spam and eggs breakfast!
i do love me some spam on toast sandwich...mmm-mmm-mmm-mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
583 Posts
This will be the first year I try canning venison - just need to obtain the 'venison' so I can get started! I have heard that it is a delicacy in and of itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
any one ever can deer meat in oven?i heard you can put jars in oven 300 degrees for 2 hours and they will do great...i was on here several years and got the directions and lost them.please help

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It is more involved than that. I think it requires 4 or 5 hours and raising and lowering the oven temp. I never tried it but I remember reading it somewhere.

·
Registered
969 Posts
the more i hear about cold packed deer the more i want to try it. Where have you guys bought your supplies? ie cooker? I looked up online and found /www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/prestop18qtcan.htm I really think that this is something I want to get into.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Go get yourself an 16qt. pressure canner, holds 10 pint jars or 7qt jars. Read the book carefully and follow the instructions. Then have at it. Hey only do half bach at a time. When you hear or have seen all your jars are sealed you will want to do more. Word of warning should your spouse never canned before, do not plop the stuff in front of her and leave. Make it a "together" project. Trust me on this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts