The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good place to buy hemlock trees off the internet? I'm looking for 2-3', don't want to spend too much on them as they may end up being deer food.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If you have the wooly adelgid in your area, and even if you don't, I wouldn't plant hemlocks as they will probably just die from those little buggers.

Try a spruce or white pine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The area I need to plant them is in the shade and a little wet. Not sure how well spruces would do there, but I planted a few white pines last year and the deer seemed to like them. The idea was to plant these along the front of my property for privacy.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Find something other than hemlock is all I'm saying.
And if the deer liked the white pines, they'll like the hemlocks just as much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try Berkey's Nursery in spartinsburg. They have Canadian Hemlock plug+1 8"-14" for $.82, if you buy the box quantity. (167). Dutch is right though, If they ate your white pines, they will eat your hemlocks. Maybe even faster than the white pines.

I'd also recomend spraying or drizling a repelant on them during the winter months. I've had good luck with using two different products, Plant Skyd and liquid Fence, applied directly the the tree.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
musser forests, inc. indiana, pa, if thats what you want to plant, they have them also. you can always call howards nursery , see if they have anything left over.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The wooly adelgid where I live in NE PA are really hammering the hemlocks. It's a shame. They are beautiful trees.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I planted a hemlock from Musser Nursery a few years ago and it was doing great. When it started to warm up this spring all the needles fell off and now it's as dead as a doornail. Don't know if it was wooly adelgid or what.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Big Bear is right. The white spruce might be a good option. They can take a little moisture, they grow quick, and the deer won't eat them. If the area is to shaded they might not do as good though.

You mentioned you were looking for something 2-3'. I wouldn't worry as much about the height as I would the the root system. Berkey's has white pine 2-2 Transplants. I planted some of these 3 years ago, they had massive root systems. Some of these trees are 5' tall allready. Once they get a foothold, 18"+ per year shouldn't be a problem. Just keep them sprayed with repelant the first couple of winters or the deer will browse alot of the buds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
another trick for protecting white pine seedlings from deer. About Thanksgiving cut wax paper into 4-5 inch wide strips 10 or so inches long. Fold over teh terminal bud of the white pine seedling and staple sides. This forms a sleeve that allows light and air in to bud but deters deer from munching on. Deer tend to go for the terminal bud first so just protecting that one works most of the time. Mid to late April-remove.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
I planted a hemlock from Musser Nursery a few years ago and it was doing great. When it started to warm up this spring all the needles fell off and now it's as dead as a doornail. Don't know if it was wooly adelgid or what.
My dad's hemlock in his yard is just cover with adelgid this spring. I'm sure it'll be dead in short order.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Why would you let your hemlocks drop dead of HWA? TREAT THEM. There are remedies out there for this that dont cost a fortune on a reasonable scale. Dutch i totally disagree with your statements about not planting them, that they'll just die. There's MANY pathogens out there for most species of trees. If hemlock suits your taste, learn to identify the signs of disease and treat them accordingly.

HWA is difficult to spot. However, the egg sacs are easy to spot. The underside of the needles will show white little balls. Easy to spot. If the tree is small, hit your garden center for some insecticidal soap. Works well. If the tree is large, you can buy ome imidacloprid. Bayer has some stuff out for homeowners that you can mix up and soak the roots with. The tree will send that solution up the whole way.

Having a passion for trees, I am of a firm belief that we need not run from tree problems, but rather address them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'm going to treat my dad's tree with the Bayer product as I have it here and did not realize it would work on the adelgids.

I still maintain, that why go to the expense of planting hemlocks, in an area with adelgids, and then have to mess with treatments?

When we plant hemlocks for wildlife, we want to plant a good number. Keeping them treated is an uneeded expense, when there are other alternatives.

BTW, you can use the Bayer product on your dogs and cats for flea control as it is the same active ingredient in the Advantage flea control product that Bayer sells. Just a whole lot cheaper when you buy it for trees.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I left the bottle at my Dad's, but I think it's Bayer Season Long Tree and Shrub Insect Control.

1 Qt for $27.99 and it treated ONE hemlock, which I think is dead anyway.

I used 15 ML on my beagle, and 5 ML on the cats a few years ago, and fleas were dropping in hours. Cleaned up a flea problem I had for a few months.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have one large hemlock in front of my house and maybe 10 15 footers in the back. I noticed the HWA signs on my large hemlock 3 or 4 years ago. I really didn't want to lose this tree so i bought an insecticide and poured it in the ground around the tree drip line. It worked great and the tree is doing fine three years later. I did not see the HWA on the smaller hemlocks in the back of the house and I still have not seen it there. It would be hard to treat trees on a landscape basis but protecting hemlocks around your house or smaller woodlots is doable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have planted white pine and hemlocks the deer here dont touch the hemlocks but have browsed every white pine I planted .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.