The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I feel ya! I have five hunts booked this year and they're probably all in danger. One has already been cancelled and the next one is scheduled for the middle of next month. Have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My cousin and I have been talking about going on a Canadian fishing trip for years, but never pulled the trigger. A month ago, after going to the NRA show in Harrisburg, we planned a trip for the end of June. We put down the deposit, ordered our passports, and started looking into buying new gear. We've been excited for weeks. It would just be our luck if we couldn't go now. :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My cousin and I have been talking about going on a Canadian fishing trip for years, but never pulled the trigger. A month ago, after going to the NRA show in Harrisburg, we planned a trip for the end of June. We put down the deposit, ordered our passports, and started looking into buying new gear. We've been excited for weeks. It would just be our luck if we couldn't go now. /forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
I hear ya on that one. We’re in the same boat here. Both hunting since we were 12 and never hunted out of PA. Finally bit the bullet and decided to do a bear hunt as a “honeymoon” from our 2018 wedding and now this. Fingers crossed everyone. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
hopefully they will get a grip on this virus and things will get back to normal and the guys that have out of state and out of country hunts can take them.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
PJ Media has a piece on Trudeau regarding the border closing that may be of interest to those concerned about being able to cross. How true it is? It has exceptions and US citizens are one of them. ????

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
I know of two different guys that got burned by the Frenchies when the bottom fell out of the Quebec caribou hunts. The herd collapsed, the season was cancelled, and their deposits were lost. I think those outfitters knew that it was the end of caribou hunting, and weren’t concerned about future bookings. They also knew that a US hunter wouldn’t have a lot of luck using legal action in THEIR court system.

The nature of the problem here is different, hopefully short lived, and gets a different response from the Canadians.

If I was betting, I’d say hunting and fishing trips won’t happen this season.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've seen and read different stories that we could be dealing with this virus for the next 12-18 month. I have a Newfoundland moose hunt scheduled for mid September and I'm not worried about cancellation yet but I have put off buying plane tickets until things start to calm down. Thankfully I have confidence in the outfitter that we can work something out if this season is a bust.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Most outfitters stipulate that deposits are non-refundable, but are transferable to a future hunt. I have had several occasions to postpone hunts for one reason or another, and all of my outfitters have worked with me to reschedule, once as far out as two years. Having said that, in the case of outfits that have gone out of business, as posted above by Bigbrownie, I've know guys who have been shafted.

ScottG... I understand your point about airline tickets, but from what I've heard, flights are being booked at extraordinary discounts at this time. Not sure if that's true, but you may want to at least run the numbers, you might be able to book flights for next to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
I've seen and read different stories that we could be dealing with this virus for the next 12-18 month. I have a Newfoundland moose hunt scheduled for mid September and I'm not worried about cancellation yet but I have put off buying plane tickets until things start to calm down. Thankfully I have confidence in the outfitter that we can work something out if this season is a bust.
I wouldn’t worry...the Newfy Outfitters as a whole are pretty decent people. They’ll work with you.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
They had Mark Morgan, the acting head of the Border Patrol on Judge Janine last night. She asked if the border was closed to legitimate traffic. He said commercial traffic was OK but danced around individuals crossing. Eventually he said you could cross if you had a legitimate reason. He seemed confused about the current border situation and would not bet he had it right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts