The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot, guys. I'm sorry for the late response, but I'm still up here with sparse internet availability. This has been one helluva Spring, for sure. Hopefully, I will get some chances to hunt the upland preserves here over the cooler days ahead and continue staying sharp with this gun. It's clearly up to the task.

Also, I did manage to finally get my edit of the hunt up on YouTube. Things happened extremely fast, so there's not a lot of film. Regardless, here you go:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a little more info on my bear and a little more to look forward to in the coming months.

I am having a mount done of this sow, as she has a white chest patch, which is a fairly rare trait overall, and apparently a really rare (~10%) trait in the area where I scored it.

The taxidermist and my friend who has killed several black bears himself estimated this sow to be about 8 years old based on her size, teeth condition, etc. That said, all bears killed in Canada must have two of their premolars sent off to the government for formal age and DNA analysis. I should get that info back in a few months and know for sure. I’m pretty keen to see what they report.

Given that there’s a strong chance I will have to deploy long term sometime mid-Summer next year, I may book another hunt eith this outfit for next Spring as a last hoo-rah before I go.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Hopefully you get to go on the hunt, and be safe on your deployment!

My elk hunting buddy is in the air force (enlisted) and is attached to the Army, deployed in eastern Europe since right after Christmas. I know he's looking forward to getting home.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, guys!

That’s super cool! I got mine a little after 7PM. Funny, because we guessed the bear would show sometime around 8PM and they caught us off guard.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Congrats on the great bear! I just came back with an Ontario Blackie as well. It is some wonderful country up there for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts