The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the simple answer is there isn't a definite answer probably, but near the one spot we hunt a pair of canadas were nesting, but the one just got hit by a car this week.. The remaining goose has been on the nest since then, but seemed kinda out of whack the first couple days I saw her with him lying a little bit away.. Will this affect the hatch for them or will she typically stick it out? I'm sure it leaves her / the eggs more vulnerable to predators.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It will leave the eggs more susceptible to predators for sure. The lone goose may or may not bring off the hatch if the existing bird is the hen. If the bird was already incubating and then stayed off the eggs for a couple of days as you stated there is a good chance the eggs cooled down enough to destroy the embryo, of course I doubt you were there 24/7 to see if the eggs were not being incubated. If the existing bird has not gotten back on the nest there is a better than even chance it is the gander taking its role as sentinel by laying near the nest.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks that's what I was guessing.. Just curious.. There's been a goose incubating it every time I've been by it lately so we will see what happens

1 - 3 of 3 Posts