The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Guys...when you read this you see guys that have had little things 20-40 years ago getting turned around..It happened to me..At 49 years old I got into it with a customs guy over a trailer and a canoe that I was brining in for hunting..Well when I was 18 years old in college I got into some BS and that was the reason for not letting me in..Called my Canadaian lawyer and was in with a importers license the next day...but it still comes up every time I go in..It is on the computer and you get flagged once they catch it..so handle it BEFORE you head to Canada..

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Just don't fib. If they ask you were you ever arrested, they are already reading it on the screen. Being honest about it makes all the difference

They are looking for their equavalent of a felony, disorderly shouldn't be a problem unless there was a PFA to make it stand out.

· Registered
22 Posts
Yea, I had to pay 180 dollars to become a temporary citizen, told I needed to aply for rehabilitation, cost's another 180, and subit it to canadian consulate. The questions on the questionare are unbelievable, everywhere I've lived and worked since I was 18, am 49, also a letter explaining my DUI and it's circumstances, punishment, and what's happened since. All this even though I was 3 months shy of my 10 years. I was also told if I try to reenter Canada before I get my rehabilitation card, I'll be arrested for trying to enter Canada illegaly. I have just sent my rebahilitation form in and will keep you all posted as to the result's.

· Registered
768 Posts
ChumleyHunts said:
I am going to Newfoundland in 3 weeks. Had a disorderly conduct in 1992. Anyne have any experience with a case like this?
are you going to hunt or fish ?? If you going hunting they do a more detailed check when taking a firearm in .I doubt if they would let you in to hunt ,,but just to fish you might be ok simply because they dont check your record ??

· Registered
361 Posts
In 1987 I was 21 and got a DUI. Been 24 years. Doesn't exist after 10 years on your record in the states. Am I ineligible to go to Canada?

· Registered
5,564 Posts
I kind of agree with you. I used to go bear hunting in ontario in the 80's they sure liked our american dollar. I had a bad experience with an outfitter which can happen anywhere but he still sticks in my mind. im sure now things are tougher since 911 but when i was going it seemed like the border patrol had acontest of who could ask the dombest question. I was always told to be honest with questions which you should be anyway. if they ask you if you have items xyz tell them the truth. if you lie and they decide to do a search which they can do very easy you get busted for smuggling. I might be wrong but i heard now you cant even bring your fish home.

· Registered
74 Posts
I had a DUI back in 90 or 91 and had gone through ARD etc. Never had a lawyer at the hearing,because the sob never showed up.The first time to court,they never called my name,I was the last person sitting there...so I went up to the Judge,and asked him,what about me? He asked who I was,I told him...he said he didnt have me on the docket,wanted to know who my lawyer was,told him I had a PD and he never showed.He said well,your paperwork was never brought up from downstaires....uh ok. So they send me a new court date. The second time around,they never got to my name in the court room,he told everyone that was there for a DUI 1st offense,to stand up and he told us all we lost our driving priv for 90days and had to do the ARD stuff and some public service at the local red cross for like 20hrs. I was'nt represented again. But had no money to fight it.I may have been able to get off,but I was drinking and figured it only fair to pay my dues to society.Anyway,I hunted since then in Canada,and they never asked me a thing.I have also since the DUI,been certified by the state for lethal weapons.I searched my DL record and found nothing on it to state I had a DUI conviction,ever. So what I would suggest to anyone would be to go to the pendot site and get a copy of your driving records,it is pretty cheap and tells all. I don't know why,it was removed from my record,but it was. I have a CDL and it comes up clean.

On another note,I heard that if you hand them(Canada border guards) your DL,make sure you wipe it clean....they run the finger prints off it!!! That's just what some guy's told me,gotta laugh about something.

EDIT: Very good sticky and write up BTW. Thanks

· Registered
56 Posts
I saw a news release last week about DUI / Canada laws. It appears they are going to allow a 1 time DUI offender in, as they are losing a bunch of revenue having to disallow 15 to 20 percent of the sporting clients who wan to enter Canada. I didn't study the article as I don't have a record. But google it and you can get more on it.

· Registered
22 Posts
I just came back from Canada, Quebec, had no trouble getting in because it's been 13 years since my DUI, they consider you rehabilitated after 10, but nice to get in with out a problem, but the US, have run into some very nice custom's agent's and some real arrogant one's but never Canadian officials they are always polite, we could take some courtesy lesson's from the Canadians. Great hunt at Nemio, but bad weather for a week, no moose seen and calling was limiter, but still out everyday! Next year try again!

· Registered
272 Posts
I read through some of these posts and just want to caution those of you who are handling expungements yourselves that I get lots of people who come to me wondering what went wrong with their expungements and then I find out that they handled the expungements themselves. Expungements can be tough to get right as I also see many lawyers screw them up. If you care about your record it is well worth the cost of hiring a lawyer to make sure you didn't just clean up the court records, but not one of the many other records that are kept but expungable. Also, I read the posts about PennDOT records and saw misinformation twice. PennDOT keeps a record of DUI's that resulted in ARD for ten years (there is an exception for Consent Decrees) but then expunges it automatically. You don't need a lawyer for the PennDOT process as there is nothing the lawyer can do to speed that up unless the record is erroneous, and after ten years, for those who got ARD, the expungement is done automatically by computer - you don't have to ask for it. It is easy to request a records check online directly from PennDOT so you can be sure what those records say, but realize that arrest records are maintained separately from that and are much harder to confirm as they can be found in many, many different places. If you want to read more about Pennsylvania DUI laws and defenses go to http://fairlielaw.net/practice-areas/dui/

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.