The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to make 1 1/2 acre perennial plot in the spring. Since I am having the land owner plant it for me as a nice gesture. I wanted to go perennial so I won;t have to bother him about it next year and so on. This will be my first food plot and wanted to see what you recommend. I have 1 1/2 acre and was thinking about mixing a bunch of different perennials next to each other. Here is what I am currently thinking:

½ acre of Antler King ® Trophy Clover Mix up to 6 years
-4 perennial varieties of clover, a unique variety of chicory, and a variety of rape seed.
½ acre Antler King ® Mini-Max Food Plot Blend up 3-5 years
-Different varieties of clover, a variety of perennial ryegrass and a variety of brassica

1/2 acre??? I am not sure. I was thinking straight chicory for the turkeys/deer.

Any recommendations on this thinking? Any other things you would prefer in your plot then the above. Any suggestions for the last 1/2.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Don't use ryegrass, thats for sure.
Brassicas are an annual, therefore, you will end up with a ryegrass plot, which is pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Loose the perennial ryegrass...it takes over and will nto get eaten much. I can't get rid of mine after is was in a mix I used. the deer will dig for it in the dead of winter but short of that I hate it.

(BTW, guys on here told me I would)

I don't think any of the brassicas are going to be perennial..just the other stuff in those mixes. Kind of leaves you with the same stuff in all in year 2.

I am a chicory fan, but you need to keep it mowed so mix it with another mowable, like clovers. Mow about 2-3 times a summer.

I would do a setion of perennial then a section annuals, etc...if i had that much space. Might be alot of work for the landowner that way though. For me the key is to spread the food out thoughout the year...a better vairety always seems to have somethin in it they are after.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I always wind up with clover blends plus chicory. I have not planted chicory, and am not sure how it will compete with weeds by itself. Consider leaving strips of tall grass between two or three smaller plots instead of a wide open 1.5 acres.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You may want to consider using oats as a cover crop in the spring and possibly WW in the fall. It will give you some additional forage for a variety of wildlife species when the clover is developing and also bring the clover along a little better. I generally put the oats and WW down at about 50lb/acre.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I jsut hooked up with a great family owned company, not big boob marketed seed company, they are from farmington Oh call...Invite xtream seed....
http://www.invitefpf.com
they have great mixes of clover, alfalfa & chicory which i say is really needed in a food plot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts