The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i would try this. I wanted to see if anyone could,to the best of their knowledge and experience, age this deer that i shot this year. Thank you for looking.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Shoota, here's pics from a Buck killed in Clinton County. The Taxidermist first aged this Buck at about 9.5 years...and I laughed out loud!
Then the tooth was sent to the centium aging company in Texas and it came back as 10.5 years old.
But I can see a visible difference between yours and this jaw bone. Notice how your teeth have high crowns where these teeth are really worn down.
You should send a tooth away and have it aged, it takes the guess work outta the equation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Like goosehunter said, send the tooth away. Any aging based on the wear of the molars is complete guessing. There are many factors involved in teeth wear which make it near impossible to be accurate. Yes, teeth will naturally wear down over time. However, what the deer eats will cause the teeth to wear and each has a different effect. A deer that eats grasses all its life will most likely have a good amount of tooth surface left even into advanced age. On the other hand, a deer that spends its entire life grinding on acorns and corn will most likely have very little tooth surface left. For example, we had a buck around our house that we estimated at 2.5 last year and my uncle shot him this year, Molars were almost completely gone and he was only around 3.5 or maybe a little older.

What I am saying is that the guys on this site can guess all they want, and granted some will probably guess right, but the only true way to know age is to send it out to get tested.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
Does anyone know an inexpensive place to send a tooth for aging?

Steve.
Yes. I use a lab out of Texas. They charge $30 per set and send you a Certificate of Authenticity showing the age of the deer.
As far as I know they are only offering the service to clients of taxidermists that are enrolled in their program.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Paul C said:
Everyday Hunter said:
Does anyone know an inexpensive place to send a tooth for aging?

Steve.
Yes. I use a lab out of Texas. They charge $30 per set and send you a Certificate of Authenticity showing the age of the deer.
As far as I know they are only offering the service to clients of taxidermists that are enrolled in their program.
Not everyone would think that's inexpensive, especially if you are submitting more than one at a time. And not being a taxidermist enrolled in their program is another hurdle.

About the best I can do is head to the QDMA booth at the ESOS with a couple of jawbones.

Steve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts