The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am new to hunting in Pennsylvania, and am trying to navigate the laws and regulations for doe tags. I've never heard of a place that ONLY accepts physical mail applications for doe tags (that's a little archaic and ridiculous, but it is what it is lol), and everything I can find says to send a check with the application. I do not have a checking account. I stopped using them years ago, and never looked back.

However, now that I live in PA, and want a doe tag along with my general hunting license, I'm at a loss as to what to do. Am I just stuck only hunting bucks? Do I have to have a friend write a check for me? Is that last one even possible? As in, will they take a check from someone else to pay for my doe tag?

I'm still learning the PA game commission regulations.

As a side note, what are the rules for field dressing in PA? Specifically, are we required to take the entrails out with us, or is burying them in the woods allowed here?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far as entrails, no need or requirement to bury them, the critters will clean them up in no time.
Oh, I know that environmentally, it's fine. Biodegradable. I'll never throw man-made trash on the ground, but I never think twice about leaving an apple core or banana peel or fish guts or whatever else organic leftovers I may have. I usually bury larger entrails under a few inches of dirt and debris though, just so it doesn't look unsightly to a hiker. I know animals will dig it up, but at that point they will usually drag most of them away anyhow.

But I know some states have regulations against leaving entrails in the woods. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I don't even bother covering the gut piles. Even ones visible from my stand when I still have tags to fill. They're always gone by the next morning, and more often than not, deer walking past later will stop at them to sniff & kick, almost like they're asking "What happened to you?" Then they find out at about 2700 fps...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't even bother covering the gut piles. Even ones visible from my stand when I still have tags to fill. They're always gone by the next morning, and more often than not, deer walking past later will stop at them to sniff & kick, almost like they're asking "What happened to you?" Then they find out at about 2700 fps...
Same. They really don't seem to care and I usually don't end up gutting a deer in a spot where anyone other than another hunter is going to come across the gut pile, so I've never given it a second thought about leaving them there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question for you guys. On my envelopes for anterless applications, it says I can send in three applications at a time. But I only have one, the one attached to my hunting license. It also says I can use the one on my license or the "form that appears in the current Hunting and Trapping Digest. Please refer to the Digest for detailed instructions."

Where do I get the hunting and trapping digest? I want to send in a couple of applications.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
One more question for you guys. On my envelopes for anterless applications, it says I can send in three applications at a time. But I only have one, the one attached to my hunting license. It also says I can use the one on my license or the "form that appears in the current Hunting and Trapping Digest. Please refer to the Digest for detailed instructions."

Where do I get the hunting and trapping digest? I want to send in a couple of applications.
You should have received a digest when you purchased the license, but you can view or download it from the PGC website. There’s also a link there to print out the antlerless apps.
While you can mail up to 3 apps per envelope, each individual can only apply for 1 tag per round of sales (with the exception of WMUs in the special regs areas, which can apply for unlimited tags beginning in the 2nd round. DMAP tags are another exception)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi guys. I am new to hunting in Pennsylvania, and am trying to navigate the laws and regulations for doe tags. I've never heard of a place that ONLY accepts physical mail applications for doe tags (that's a little archaic and ridiculous, but it is what it is lol), and everything I can find says to send a check with the application. I do not have a checking account. I stopped using them years ago, and never looked back.

However, now that I live in PA, and want a doe tag along with my general hunting license, I'm at a loss as to what to do. Am I just stuck only hunting bucks? Do I have to have a friend write a check for me? Is that last one even possible? As in, will they take a check from someone else to pay for my doe tag?

I'm still learning the PA game commission regulations.
You may only apply for one tag in one WMU in each round (3 rounds), except as stated in Special Regs areas. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the hunting digest and READ it. And as for the system being "archaic and ridiculous", there have been numerous threads here detailing the pros and cons. There are many, many of us who like the system the way it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may only apply for one tag in one WMU in each round (3 rounds), except as stated in Special Regs areas. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the hunting digest and READ it. And as for the system being "archaic and ridiculous", there have been numerous threads here detailing the pros and cons. There are many, many of us who like the system the way it is.
Well, as another member pointed out, I should have recieved one when I bought my license. All I recieved is the three pink envelopes and my hunting license, which had one antlered tang, two turkey tags (spring and fall), and one application for an antlerless license. While I'm a fairly seasoned hunter, I'm new to PA and am still familiarizing myself with PA regs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, as another member pointed out, I should have recieved one when I bought my license. All I recieved is the three pink envelopes and my hunting license, which had one antlered tang, two turkey tags (spring and fall), and one application for an antlerless license. While I'm a fairly seasoned hunter, I'm new to PA and am still familiarizing myself with PA regs.
The reason for allowing up to 3 per envelope is like in my case where I'm mailing one for myself and one for each of my sons. You can only apply for 1 tag per round - and you can't mail them early either. They'll get returned to you unfilled.
PA is "different" from a lot of other states I've hunted - I can see how some of these nuances can be confusing for someone who hasn't grown up with it.

As for the pink envelope system ... while some on here like it the way it is and I've never personally had an issue ... i personally think its archaic as well & even though it works most of the time - it can still be improved upon, but won't happen any time soon.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Here is the link to additional antlerless applications https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/LicensesandPermits/Documents/Antlerless Deer License Application.pdf You have to send these in the pink envelops so if you only got one you will have to go get additional ones from a store that sells licences

But here is the most important link of all...the hunting digest to get familiar with the rules and regulations
Cover You can swipe through on a phone or use the arrows on a keyboard

Staying on topic, if you send in a money order and do not get a tag (if its in a highly sought after unit) you are out that money. Dont think you can get a refund at a store from a money order. You probably wont have to worry about that in most units until you get to the second or third round of licenses

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
And, as has been alluded to, the "system" won't change unless the Legislature changes the law, which currently requires Antlerless licenses to be issued by the County Treasurers...
Some searching in the Big Game and General Hunting forums will uncover countless threads debating the pros/cons of moving to online sales, electronic tags, other process changes, etc.
Personally, I got the impression from reading and participating in those threads over the years that the majority would welcome a change to the process, provided such a change was equitable, practical, and well thought out. But it's PA Tradition to resist change in all forms...;)
You'll find out soon enough that the wheels of progress turn slowly and infrequently here in PA lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the link to additional antlerless applications https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/LicensesandPermits/Documents/Antlerless Deer License Application.pdf You have to send these in the pink envelops so if you only got one you will have to go get additional ones from a store that sells licences

But here is the most important link of all...the hunting digest to get familiar with the rules and regulations
Cover You can swipe through on a phone or use the arrows on a keyboard

Staying on topic, if you send in a money order and do not get a tag (if its in a highly sought after unit) you are out that money. Dont think you can get a refund at a store from a money order. You probably wont have to worry about that in most units until you get to the second or third round of licenses
Not that I really mind gambling a measly $6.90, but I was under the impression that if you do not get a tag, your check is returned to you. Why wouldn't they send the money order back in the same situation?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not that I really mind gambling a measly $6.90, but I was under the impression that if you do not get a tag, your check is returned to you. Why wouldn't they send the money order back in the same situation?
They will, but most MOs are difficult to get refunded... And since it's made out to "County Treasurer", your only use for it may be to resend it in another pink envelope, with a new app and a different WMU selection where tags remain...

Running out of tags in the first round didn't happen last year, and likely won't this year, but with a lot of people having more time on their hands than ever before, who knows? And there were a few WMUs that went fully concurrent for the whole rifle season that had their allocations slightly reduced... so that's a factor too.

Best advice is to mail your app the afternoon of 7/10, and have a 2nd preference listed "just in case" if you're applying for a tag in a WMU that sells fast.
Make sure you utilize the checklist on the envelope to be certain you didn't miss anything. It'll get to be "habit" after a season or two, but mistakes still happen to the best of us. I had an envelope returned last year because I forgot to sign the check... and I've been doing this 30+ years lol. First screw-up in ages, but it happens. I was able to resend it, after signing the check, and got the tags I wanted, but wasted an envelope, a week of waiting, and 2 stamps.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Head to Walmart, Treasurer, or any licensing agent and pick one up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts