The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone put up fur with mange? Any tips or precautions?
How easy is it for you or your dog to get it?

I've done some reading about the disease and understand it a little better... but can't find any trappers talking about it. I'm still not sure how risky it is handling a fox or coyote with full on or the start of mange. My dog spends the morning with me in the garage when I skin. I know it can be cured on both of us, but don't really want him to go thru the pain.

I'm only on my second week of fox trapping this year and so far I've caught 4 red fox with mange and tossed them all. Today I didn't realize one had it, brought it home, and when I was brushing it out I found a bald spot on her back and then noticed the tail had it and was scabby.

If the back fur is bad I'll keep tossing them, but if its just the tail I was wondering if I could just cut off the tails and still process and put up the fox.

I am keeping all my fur for my self again this year, so I'm not worries about losing the tail and any value.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
588 Posts
personaly, I don't want to touch them, but if there were only a tiny bit on the lower legs you could skin them if you wanted too

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I've skinned many. I do wear gloves but my arms have brushed against mangy areas many times. Some say they have gotten mange so I must be immune to it.

The problem with mange is once a fox contracts mange it seems "flat" all winter. Even slight mange seems to inhibit a fox from priming up. Maybe because they are fighting the disease?? I do know mange fox have swollen glands which is an indicator of fighting infection.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I must be immune too. I've put up many that had it on just their tails and back legs. Like CoonDuke, I wear gloves but take no other precautions.

A lot of guys will tell you to burn or bury them. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me. Fox with mange too bad to skin get tossed in some hidden location on the line. The mites die pretty quickly once the carcass cools.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably keep chucking them, but if I keep catching a lots I may try putting a few up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts