The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "lil can call" for doe bleats. I bought the "lil" model to save room in my pack, and I've never had jacksquat come into it. I was wondering, is the sound, tone or intensity of the full size models more accurate and worth picking one up and using as opposed to the mini model?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
have only ever had one curious doe and one little buck come into my can call, and ive had it for like 8yrs. thinking about tossing it.almost as slow as trying to rattle a buck in, them two calls seem to aleart more deer than bring in. seems like grunts of both buck and doe are the way to go.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I used a reg. can call a few years back when i called once a buck ran right to my tree and could not get a good shot due to angle.Only had one other buck come investigate can call and it stopped about 40ys away and then looked around and walked the other way.Never had any other deer period show any interest in it.Never had luck with grunt call either.All depends on the deer.Others I'm sure have better luck.Thin k it depends on deer ratios also.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
I have had considerable luck with bucks even running into can calls and I grunted in several bucks to as close as 10 yards as I called from the ground on one occasion. I called several bucks as late as the last two years.

As I said in one of the previous topics....If the deer can see there is not another deer in the area the calls are coming from you will not be as successful. Call from thick areas with cover unless you are using a decoy then you want the decoy to be visible.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I use the great big can during the season after October 20th..Ive called in a ton of bucks with it. Great Big Can and a Primos Buck Roar go to the woods with me every season and they yeild results.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the sound from the big can better than my "lil can" or does it carry louder and farther?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I use the little can and have called in numerous bucks with it. Does it work every time? No, but often enough to make it worth carrying. Never used the big one so I'm no help there.

Mostly I use it when I see a buck that I know is not going to come in. Usually one or two 'bawls' from it and a couple of grunts is enough to get them interested. There are exceptions though.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If you read the lil can..its for early season doe bleats, like doe to fawn communication. The original can (size between lil and great big) is an estrous bleat as is the great big can. Yeah, it has a greater volume and a longer, more drawn out bleat.

In all honesty, if you flip the can 3-5x it sounds identical and with no emotion. However, if you hold the can and put the little hole in the bottom to your mouth and blow in it, while cupping your hands over the top where all the holes are, you can add volume, "emotion" and variation into the call. You can make sound more real that way. Try it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had luck with the original can this year. Got a bunch of young bucks to come in to investigate. Then took my first buck after hitting the call 3 times and waiting 10 mins. He was too curious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts