The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the public range in Pike Co.? I assume it has something to do with the insane gun laws in NYC. Maybe they aren't allowed to use their personal weapons at the NYPD ranges so they drive to the Poconos? My cousin is a Major in the army and he had to jump through hoops just to transfer his pistol from NJ to NY.

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
Those NYPD guys you see at the range on SGL 183 are nothing but weekenders.

You'll see more of them now that it's summer.

In LE they are allowed to cross state lines with their firearm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
casey said:

I understand that but why do they travel such a distance to use our range? Isn't there ranges they can use in the city or near to it. I noticed that they usually have their personal weapons. They aren't service weapons. I guess I'll just ask one of them the next time they are there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also wonder if they have to obtain a PERMIT like all of us here ???? Or a hunting license....non-resident I am sure

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DIYASUB said:
Just wondering, how do you know they are NYPD?
They look like cops and usually have some cop gear with them. I doubt different people go there pretending to be NYPD. I've been there a few times and there were different guys claiming to be NYPD. Sometimes whole groups of them. Also, they have the NYC accent. If they are lying than there is a lot of NYPD imposters out there. We get a lot of people from NY and NJ due to the stupid laws in those states.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
NepaGuy said:
We get a lot of people from NY and NJ due to the stupid laws in those states.
This is exactly why You see them.

Just like why I saw PA tags at Liquor Stores across the border in MD when I was younger. Or now at gas stations across the bridges in NJ.

In Philly, the bootlegging will now be sodas. And Turkey Hill iced tea will cost over twice the price.

Stupid laws and stupid taxes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think their lying. Nothing about them seemed suspicious. I didn't mean they had NYPD shirts. I meant they usually have actual police equipment. Why not claim to be PSP or an FBI agent instead? I remember the one guy telling me that he lived outside of the city and the Pike Co. range was the closest civilian range.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I read online it looks like there are all kinds of stupid rules for NYPD and personal weapons. They are allowed to carry off duty but are only allowed to carry an NYPD approved gun. My cousin went through all kinds of crap when he moved to NY. He is a Major in the army but they still made him go through background checks and his pistol had to be legal under state law.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
When I go to the range I always pretend to be the town Marshall. I ride in on my horse, with my Marshalls badge, six shooters, cowboy hat and spurs. Anybody rubs me the wrong way I tell 'em to get out of town by sundown.

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
NepaGuy said:
casey said:

I understand that but why do they travel such a distance to use our range? Isn't there ranges they can use in the city or near to it. I noticed that they usually have their personal weapons. They aren't service weapons. I guess I'll just ask one of them the next time they are there.

They go to the range because they have summer places in all the surrounding private communities.

Some stay all summer and the others come up on Friday and go back late Sunday afternoon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts