The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, found a tree on my property line that has berries on it. They look like either black rasp. or blackberries, BUT they are on a TREE not a shrub. Now to complicate things more, here are some pics, notice the leaves are not the same, however they are from the same tree. I also should note that about 15ft up, the leaves change yet again and become very thin and there is NO fruit there. Is this some type of wild hybrid? I will have to go get a pic of the tree tomorrow so you can see the change in leaves, it is wild.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
good eating as well. Most of the time the birds will beat you to the ripe berries. I can't keep my two dogs away from the two Mullberry trees I have.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, that is what I am finding john, the deer as well. There are deer droppings all over under it and the turkey seem to be hanging close to it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Mulberry, the birds will spread them really quick.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fish under a Mulberry tree and use Mulberrys as bait and you may be surprised at what you can catch. Fish will lay under a Mulberry tree and wait for them to drop in.

Fish like Mulberrys, Groundhogs like Mulberrys, Deer like Mulberrys, Birds like Mulberrys. Everything likes them.

Bugs like Mulberrys too. As they age, they do get buggy. I tried making Mulberry Wine once. It didn't work too well because of all of the tiny bugs crawling around the little nooks in the berrys.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah def a mulberry dont eat too many of em they will have you runnin to the toilet real quick or if ur a real woodsy kinda guy you can do like the birds and everything else and just spread the seeds wherever you drop em

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Pa4C_Hunter said:
Bugs like Mulberrys too. As they age, they do get buggy. I tried making Mulberry Wine once. It didn't work too well because of all of the tiny bugs crawling around the little nooks in the berrys.
Boil them down next time with just a little water and then strain thru a fine mesh strainer....should remove bugs pretty good....that is what I always do with the black raspberries and wine berries, seems even know you sort thru them and wash them good, there is always a bug or 2 or 3 show up in the boiled juice when straining!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
trapperzeke said:
Can't kill it if you try, either!
I had a neighbor that had a mulberry tree in his yard a 7 years ago....he wanted it GONE, so we cut it down, dug deep around the roots into the ground, took some powder stump rot stuff he had gotten and drilled holes in the roots and stump and filled them with the powder like the instructions said to do.....we left it set till well into November and then filled the drilled holes with a mix of fuel oil and gas and let it soak up for 2 days....that stump burned for 3 days...not flames, just glowing for 3 days...the powder made the stump and roots get pourose...

that tree did not grow after that!

We dug a good 3 feet out around the stump and a good 2 feet down into the roots though...

Cutting them down, never killes them, there is always a shoot come up somewere off the roots, you have to kill just about every root there is to kill it completely off!

Mom had a Mulberry Tree for years in the Back Yard...my Dad got tired of cleaning up the mess the mulberries made each year... I remember he and my 1 uncle cutting that tree down and I bet for a whole Month digging and pulling roots from all over the yard to make sure it never came back...never came back, but it took them a good month to dig up many areas of the yard to get every single root they could find...I bet if that powder stuff was around that my neighbor had gotten, they would have not had to dig up the whole yard!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Just picked 2.5 quarts of mullberries and plan to make some jelly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts