The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is planning on taking my grandson deer hunting this year, and all the boy has to shoot is a 20 gauge single with fixed modified choke. Its been so long since I've shot slugs that I couldn't answer my son when he asked me. Can a slug be fired from anything other than say a cylinder bore shotgun?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Yes. Foster style slugs (rifled slugs) are designed to constrict and can even be fired in full chokes without damage but accuracy usually suffers in full choke.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
yup, no problem at all throwing a foster slug out of that gun. I would not use a brenneke KO or anything goofy...stick with green box remington punkin balls.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
my dads mossburg has a fixed mod choke and it has killed many deer. best slugs are the winchester hollowpoint rifled slugs. basicly just a pumpkin ball with a hollowpoint and groves.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I thought as much just wasn't sure as again, its literally been decades since I last hunted deer with a slug.

As to ammo brand, my son told me he bought 4 or 5 boxes of Remington green box that were on clearance at Wal-Mart. They were like $3.50 a box or something real cheap. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
those green box punkin balls have killed more allegheny county does than all other slugs combined I think. I wish i had taken a pic the day I shot the stump, but on a bet I sent one of those out of a winchester 1300 ranger with an IC choke and just the brass bead for a sight about 75 yards right into the center of a 8"x12" stump. Everyone was wondering why i didn't kick any snow up...cus I hit the stump DUH...actually amazed myself too. those slugs are plenty accurate. You do need to shoot a couple just to see where your point of impact is though. can't beat 3-4 bucks a box

1 - 9 of 9 Posts