The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
2 GSP prob together they are about 110 lbs. they almost always go w/to camp unless i know something is going on that would warrant them staying home

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
My dog loves to go and we always take him. He is super alert in the tent though and is usually up much of the night. The last time, some coons came through our site around 1:30am and he went nuts. I poked the flashlight out the front of the tent to see them and he about tore me out through with him.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
We have 2 German Shepherd's and they go hiking, backpacking, camping, and to the cabin with us.

Mya has her own pack, now that Max is a year old he'll carry his share too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do any of you take anything special with you for the dogs? What about a dog first aid kit?

Im suprised alot of us have GSD's

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
We have to be careful using the "C" word around our house. We spell it out "c a m p" in conversation because he'll start getting exited and jumping around and you won't get out of his sight. He's an Australian Cattle dog / Rottweiler mix and loves to chase chippy's.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Shooter, I'd love to see pics of him. I have 2 heelers (cattle dogs). They can be (are) a little high strung, my brother's rot is a lazy beast. Might be a great combo!

·
Registered
943 Posts
We used to always take our chocolate lab camping. I can remember fishing in my boat about 1/2 mile out in the water from where we were camping. Then here comes this wake and head. I thought I had slipped out without him seeing, but I didn't. All the way out to the boat to join me. He loved the chipmunks too. He used to look like a big groundhog trying to excavate them out of their burrows. Man I miss that dog, still haven't had the heart to get another one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We take our black Lab 90% of the time to our camp. Anytime I go near my truck...whether its in the garage or in the driveway...my Lab thinks we're headed north. Say the word "camp" while being near the truck....he's literally bouncing off the doors and tailgate!

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have 3 four-legged companions that camp with us. 2 Irish Setters and 1 English. The younger Irish and the English love it, the older Irish hates it. We have even taken him some extra creature comforts to help him enjoy his time more, but nothing has worked.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
My big Sheperd always goes along and loves it. Last year he woke me to about a 400 lb bear just outside our tent at Stony Fork. My kid left chicken wings on the picnic table unknown to Mom and me. When the dog barked I saw old Ursus bail off the picnic table. He looked like a VW Bug !

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just moved to PA, and want to get a GSD. Unfortunately I think I have to wait until after hunting season. I'm a single guy and can't leave a big working dog like that in the apartment for hours at a time while I'm out getting venison.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts