The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister in law and her husband live out near tunkhannock. My niece turns 1 mid summer, and my wife and I were thinking about makig a weekend of things and camping when we go out for her birthday. Anyone have recommendations for a nice campground to tent camp in? At a glance I see Ricketts Glen and Lackawanna State parks are nearby. Never been to either, so I would appreciate reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Micah

·
Registered
806 Posts
look up stoney mountain campground, it is in Tunkhannock. also Lackawana state park is a very nice place, pool, showers, clean. state run

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Ricketts Glen has about 13 spectacular waterfalls stretched out over a few miles of trails. Well worth the hike to see them .Rustic campgrounds for tent camping. They may have other camping facilities but it has been a few years

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
hacimsaalk

I live in Tunkhannock. Lackawanna State Park I have stayed at many times. Big lake for fishing along with hiking trails.The bath houses need updating but the camp sites are nice. Ricketts Glen also has a lake to fish along with the waterfalls and hiking trails. Stony Mountain Campground has a 13 Acre lake and just down the road is Steven Lake. The tent camp sites are at the bottom of the mountain that I hunt. My wife Grandparents started that camp back in the 60's. If you want to know anything else just shoot me a Pm.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Slumber valley campground just outside of Meshoppen.It's about 10 minutes from Tunkhannock just off of rt 6.It's a nice place.I grew up in Tunkhannock but only make it back about once a year.There used to be a koa near Shadowbrook,which is only a few miles outside of Tunkhannock.Not sure if it's still open.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Rickets Glen and Lackawanna are both nice places but kind of far if you're there to visit someone.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're basically there for a B-day party on Saturday. The rest of the time is a mini vacation (hopefully).

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'd double check with the rangers office at Ricketts but I thought they were drawing down Lake Jean for some work to the dam area of the lake.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EIGHT POINT said:
I'd double check with the rangers office at Ricketts but I thought they were drawing down Lake Jean for some work to the dam area of the lake.
That would be correct. We still got a site there...if nothing else than to see the falls and to hike a bit. I figure how bad can it be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts